PDA

View Full Version : Problem booting from Knoppix CD

jsim1982
07-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi, i encountered a problem after booting the knoppix cd at startup. The initialisation part is fine but after auto configuring devices, there is a huge chunks of code running and show me this error message, " unable to handle kernel null pointer dereference at virtual address 00000023 printing eip: c0104126 *pde = 00000000" May i know how i can resolve this problem?

So far, i tried using failsafe command to disable the hardware detection but it does not work.

rwcitek
07-28-2005, 05:39 PM
So far, i tried using failsafe command to disable the hardware detection but it does not work.
What version of Knoppix? Have you checked the md5sum of the ISO you've downloaded? Also, if you are having trouble booting, then have a look at the Cheatcodes:Tips&Tricks (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Tips.26Tricks) for ideas on troubleshooting. If you try either of the "debug" boot commands, tell us how far you get.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/

jsim1982
07-29-2005, 04:14 AM
I am currenty using Knoppix 3.8.1 bootable cd. I have tried the debug command at the boot command and managed to reach the part where they prompt me to press "ctrl D". After autoconfiguring device, the error code appears.

rwcitek
07-29-2005, 05:28 AM
I am currenty using Knoppix 3.8.1 bootable cd. I have tried the debug command at the boot command and managed to reach the part where they prompt me to press "ctrl D". After autoconfiguring device, the error code appears.
I assume that is true for both the "failsafe" and "knoppix" kernels. If you are able to get to the "ctrl-D" then Knoppix does indeed boot on your machine. However, Knoppix seems to have some issue with some device when probing. The question is, what device?

To figure that out, try booting with the following: boot: knoppix nohwsetup 3 Are you able to get to a shell prompt?

Regards,
- Robert

jsim1982
07-29-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi Robert,

As instructed, i did the following boot command: knoppix nohwsetup 3 and i this is what i have found:
Loading hardware profile..... video is yet unknown card. I believe it has something to do with my video card. I currently have 2 graphics card - 1 inbuilt in the intel board and 1 GeForce FX5200. Kindly advise what i should do. Thanks a lot.

Regards
James

rwcitek
07-29-2005, 08:05 PM
I currently have 2 graphics card - 1 inbuilt in the intel board and 1 GeForce FX5200. Kindly advise what i should do.
There's a couple of things to do:

1) Boot up with boot: knoppix nohwsetup 3 then run 'lspci -vn' and post the output here
2) Remove the GeForce card and boot normally. Does Knoppix boot or do you get the same problem?

Regards,
- Robert

jsim1982
07-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Hi Robert,

1) I tried to run the 'lspci - vn' and it shows me a list of menu such as '-g' , '-n' , '-v' and so on.

2) Is there another way other than removing my GeForce card cos i am currently using this GeForce card.

Thanks

Regards
James

rwcitek
07-30-2005, 05:27 AM
1) I tried to run the 'lspci - vn' and it shows me a list of menu such as '-g' , '-n' , '-v' and so on.
Actually, I got ahead of myself. Just type 'lspci' and post here.

Is there another way other than removing my GeForce card cos i am currently using this GeForce card.
Good question. I would imagine there is a way to "inactive" a device, but I'm not sure what that way is.

Let's say we both Google and whomever discovers the answer, post it here.

Regards,
- Robert

jsim1982
07-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi Robert,

This is what i get after typing the command "lspci" -
0000:00:00.0 Host Bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Control/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
0000:00:02.0 Display Controller: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev 02)
0000:01:05.0 Ethernet controller Realtek semiconductor Co. Ltd RTL-8139/8139c/8139c+ (rev 10)

Kindly advise on what i should do. Thanks. By the way, is there any way i can copy all the above details from the boot command because it is tedious to copy the entire details from the boot up screen.

Regards
James

Harry Kuhman
07-31-2005, 01:16 PM
You didn't respond to the straight forward question of "Have you checked the md5sum of the ISO you've downloaded?" so I'll assume that you don't know what this means and can't be bothered to read the FAQ. It also seems extremely likely then that you have ignored or not even looked at the other steps that we have learned are important to get a good burn, including burning at slow speed. If you don't read and follow the instructions in the downloading faq you are likely wasting your own time as well as ours.

jsim1982
07-31-2005, 01:25 PM
You didn't respond to the straight forward question of "Have you checked the md5sum of the ISO you've downloaded?" so I'll assume that you don't know what this means and can't be bothered to read the FAQ. It also seems extremely likely then that you have ignored or not even looked at the other steps that we have learned are important to get a good burn, including burning at slow speed. If you don't read and follow the instructions in the downloading faq you are likely wasting your own time as well as ours.

Hi Harry,

Actually i am new to knoppix. I did not download the knoppix but instead i got the knoppix cd as part of my study materials. The only instruction i have to boot the cd from the cd to run knoppix. I tried looking through the FAQs but i could not find any solutions and this lead me to this forum. Robert has been very helpful and i managed to find out that actually it is my graphics card issue but i do not know how to resolve this. Hope someone could assist me. Thanks.

Regards
James

Harry Kuhman
07-31-2005, 01:35 PM
.... instead i got the knoppix cd as part of my study materials. ....
James, You may still want to read the downloading faq. If someone else burned many CDs (rather than having many pressed) it seems all the more likely that they burned them at high speed, which is well know to sometimes have problems. If you're sure that your only problem is the graphic card, then you may well be able to resolve it by reading the cheat codes section of the wiki.

pro
08-23-2005, 08:17 AM
ah, yes... brilliant. anyone want to guess why more people aren't switching to Linux? moderators like you harry.

relax a bit, huh? people ask questions on forums, lots of questions. that's what forums are all about. don't respond if you don't like the question or don't want to answer. maybe you should start an elite forum for knoppix pro's, where dumb newbie questions aren't allowed.

snaproll
08-23-2005, 04:33 PM
I had problems with a bought Knoppix 4.0 DVD not booting in two machines. I got it booted to the info screen in a third, but every click set off long 'read the DVD' sessions on the drive. Dmsg was full of ' media error- bad sector' lines.

Bad media. May be a lot of that going around.....

glennt
02-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi. Try this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100513#100513
worked for me anyway. good luck\