PDA

View Full Version : PXE booting Knoppix - not from knoppix server

jrizzo
07-28-2005, 06:41 PM
HI –
I already have PXE boot working on our network. Is it possible to easily PXE boot knoppix not using a server running knoppix? I essentially want to boot the knoppix cd over the network. Is there documentation somewhere for achieving this?

Thanks,
Joe

ockham23
07-28-2005, 11:34 PM
This is just something that I came up with on a rainy afternoon: I have a server, running Windows XP, and a router in my LAN. On the server, I installed a trial version of VMWare Workstation for Windows to create a virtual PC running Knoppix 3.8 from CD (actually, it was the CD image - even the disk drives are virtual). After running the terminal server script from within my virtual Knoppix server, I connected another PC to the network and had it boot over the network. Et voila: I had a diskless client running Knoppix in no time. There was no conflict assigning IP addresses because the terminal server script by default assigns IP addresses beginning at 192.168.0.200.

To push things a little a further, I added user "diskless01" to my virtual Knoppix server, started ssh, and was able to access files on the virtual Knoppix server by typing "fish://192.168.0.5" in Konqueror on the diskless client. Of course, it was also possible to see Windows shares on the server through LinNeighborhood.