PDA

View Full Version : unable to use firefox or gaim but konqueror is working fine

someuser77
07-29-2005, 12:23 PM
i am using Knoppix 3.9 from a cd.
i have a Aztech DSL-600E modem/router and when i open konqueror i am able to view remote web pages but when i open firefox 1.0.4 that came with the cd i am unable to load any page, same as for connecting to my ICQ using Gaim, nothing happens.
what is the problem? how can i make sure its not a network configuration problem? what do i need to adjust on the modem to allow the connections?

foamrotreturns
07-29-2005, 06:39 PM
3.9 is apparently frought with bugs. Try downloading 4.0 and see if that helps.

someuser77
07-29-2005, 11:11 PM
thank you for your reply. :)
i dont see 4.0 on the download page (http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/), but i do have version 3.8.1, should i try this one?

someuser77
07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
okay, i think the Firefox problem is now gone, but i still cant get Gaim to connect to the server. :(
edit: i used another Knoppix version. an old one (i have no idea how to check the correct version, no version on boot screen) that has Licq and Gaim installed. the configurations looks the same but i am able to connect using Licq but not using Gaim.

gordonbp
08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
i am using Knoppix 3.9 from a cd.
i have a Aztech DSL-600E modem/router and when i open konqueror i am able to view remote web pages but when i open firefox 1.0.4 that came with the cd i am unable to load any page, same as for connecting to my ICQ using Gaim, nothing happens.
what is the problem? how can i make sure its not a network configuration problem? what do i need to adjust on the modem to allow the connections?

You need to disable ipv6 in Firefox. In the Navigation Toolbar type "about:config" (without the quotes) and then scroll down to the option network.dns.disableIPv6. double-click it so that the value is True. Exit Firefiox. restart and you should be OK. Sorry I can't help with the GAIM problem.