PDA

View Full Version : What means "This package contains no application...&quo

masterjail
07-29-2005, 01:46 PM
What means : "This package contains no application. klik can't handle it." ??

I get this message when I try to install some software...
Should I install first any other software before install this?

Thanks!

probono
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
This message means that this type of software cannot be installed with klik. Which package is it?

Greetings,
probono

zettberlin
09-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Which package is it?

Greetings,
probono

this message is produced, if i click several entries on the klik-website at atekon. And of course: how could such a thing as a GIMP-Plugin run as a Standaloneapp as it is something as contradictionary to a Standalone as anything could be...
about the same can be said regarding stuff like jackd (and thus progs as ardour also) and what are the alsa-lowlevel-packages supposed to mean on a page for meta-Packages running in a loop started by a KDE-Wrapper???

There are dozens, if not hundreds of apps on the klik-website that either cannot run because of design-obstacles or are simply broken, such as lmm ( http://klik.atekon.de/details.php?section=sound/&package=lmms )

klick could be fine - for now it is more of a problem than of a solution...

probono
09-14-2005, 02:14 AM
klik://lmms is fixed now.

klik indeed is designed for applications only, not for libraries, plug-ins and the like.
The beauty of its simplicity comes from the "1 application = 1 file" philosophy.

Those get installed along with the respective application, if neccessary (e.g., libraries become part of a cmg automatically if an application requires them to run.)

"alsa-lowlevel-packages" are not meant to be handled by klik. Since I am using debian's software catalog (it would not be possible to maintain such a large catalog by hand), I cannot remove it.

Greetings,
probono

zettberlin
09-14-2005, 08:29 PM
klik://lmms is fixed now.

yeeah!! cool, it worrks just right away - thank you

Those get installed along with the respective application, if neccessary (e.g., libraries become part of a cmg automatically if an application requires them to run.)

this is understood - but some apps need to invoke other applications to work (kpovmodeler needs povray) or they need another app iinvoked by the user before theey can Start (ardour needs jackd running).

Maybe i missed something: is there a way to:

1.) call a klikpackage by another (such as: kpovmodeler.cmg calls povray.cmg to render...)
2.) and to invoke a .cmg and give it needed parameters (such as : starting jackit.cmg and tell it to use alsa and to invoke jackd without realtime)

??????????????

"alsa-lowlevel-packages" are not meant to be handled by klik. Since I am using debian's software catalog (it would not be possible to maintain such a large catalog by hand), I cannot remove it.

Greetings,
probono

This should not lead to ragingbull-activities as shown by me earlyer in this thread - 2-3 well-placed hints regarding these facts could help a lot.

i repeat: klik can be great - carry on

probono
09-15-2005, 04:13 PM
If the dependency information in the debian database is correct, klik should take care of helper binaries that are required to run the application, just like it is the case with libraries. They then simply become part of the cmg.

That being said, it doesn't work always out of the box and some packages require hand-tuning. If you encounter such a pcakage, please give me the following information:

- what package are you trying to run
- which other package you think should be included
- how should the wrapper call the "helper binary"

I'll then adjust the recipe.

Greetings,
probono

zettberlin
09-15-2005, 11:43 PM
- what package are you trying to run

qjackctl

- which other package you think should be included

jackit

- how should the wrapper call the "helper binary"

jackd -v -d alsa -d hw:0 -r44100 -p512 -n2 -s -zr -H

If this runs, Apps that rely on JACK should be able to access it to transport audiostreams. Tere are some (like ARDOUR), that cannot Startwithout JACK running and many others need JACK to communicate and to sync.

To be honest: this cannot be done whithout seriously altering these binaries in the first Place,

because:

if qjackctl comes with JACK and invokes it, it is allready running, so if ARDOUR or MUSE or Rosegarden would bring their own JACK also, they need a Mechanism that stops them from starting jackd if it is already running AND a Mechanism that starts jackd, if it is not.
Not soooo big a thing to do methinks - but it needs to be done properly if klik should make these apps available.
Practically all Pro-oriented Linux-Audio-Apps need JACK, so in the future it may be a Standardcomponent for the most Distros yet until then, some wrapperscripts or even some hacks in the sources appeare unevitable to me.

Again: a very easy and usefull first step would be to inform users, that want to install the Stuff - so they could apt-get JACK and start it in a console before they start downloading klik-Packs of JACK-relying Apps.

best regards.

oh yes, to add some trouble:
the jackit-deb for the recent KANOTIX is not quite functional - at least qjackctl cannot use it.

so building it from scratch (no big thing, alsa-devel-packs are needed and fftw would be good) is recommended