PDA

View Full Version : custom kernel won't show up on LILO's menu

lo Spocchioso
04-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi all,
I've been trying to use custom kernels on Knoppix, but I never managed to select them at boot time, because LILO doesn't even show them in the menu.

Here's the procedure I follow:
-get kernel.org sources and patch them (boot param. & ptrace)
-make xconfig on original Knoppix conf. file; select/deselect stuff I do/do not need
-make-kpkg --revision 1.0 kernel_image; don't allow touching lilo.conf
-dpkg -i resulting .deb file; manually edit lilo.conf
-/sbin/lilo; LILO confirms the presence of the new image
-reboot

The target partition is hda5; W2K's bootloader (in hda1) chainloads LILO (hda5's bootsector is listed in C:\boot.ini).

At boot: I can only see and load the stock Knoppix kernel. Can anybody please tell me where I do wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Andrea.

Stephen
04-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Try /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda5 to install lilo to the device you are booting from.

lo Spocchioso
04-21-2003, 12:33 AM
Try /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda5 to install lilo to the device you are booting from.

Thanks, but still no go. By the way, if I was already booting from hda5, that wouldn't make any difference, would it? Newbie question, I know :wink:

hda5 is formatted ext3, before that was ext2 and I'm starting to believe the HDD has got corrupted somewhere inside this partition, because when I execute /sbin/lilo, after correctly adding the kernel images, LILO prints this error message:
unexpected dirty buffer encountered at do_get_write_access:613(03:05 blocknr 0)

What do you think?

Thanks,
Andrea.

Stephen
04-21-2003, 01:15 AM
Thanks, but still no go. By the way, if I was already booting from hda5, that wouldn't make any difference, would it? Newbie question, I know :wink:
If you just /sbin/lilo it installs to the MBR IIRC not the /dev/hda5.

hda5 is formatted ext3, before that was ext2 and I'm starting to believe the HDD has got corrupted somewhere inside this partition, because when I execute /sbin/lilo, after correctly adding the kernel images, LILO prints this error message:

Looks (http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=do_get_write_access&btnG=Google+Search) like a bug in ext3.

lo Spocchioso
04-21-2003, 01:35 AM
If you just /sbin/lilo it installs to the MBR IIRC not the /dev/hda5.

I forgot to tell you that i have boot=/dev/hda5 in lilo.conf :wink:

Looks (http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=do_get_write_access&btnG=Google+Search) like a bug in ext3.

Mmh... how lucky I am! Eventually I decide to try a journalled FS under Linux and come up against a bug :D
Seriously, I couldn't boot custom kernels even on ext2, and this since Knoppix 3.1 (the first I've tried out). Never had similar problems with stock Debian "stable".

Thanks again,
Andrea.

Stephen
04-21-2003, 02:23 AM
Mmh... how lucky I am! Eventually I decide to try a journalled FS under Linux and come up against a bug :D
Seriously, I couldn't boot custom kernels even on ext2, and this since Knoppix 3.1 (the first I've tried out). Never had similar problems with stock Debian "stable".

Thanks again,
Andrea.

Have you tired posting to debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org mailing list or searching the archive I'm sure I have seen a few posts in there about custom kernels.

lo Spocchioso
04-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Have you tired posting to debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org mailing list or searching the archive I'm sure I have seen a few posts in there about custom kernels.

I haven't yet, but linuxtag.org doesn't seem to exist :cry:
I did searched the forum's archive, but haven't found anything so far...
I simply cannot believe I am the only one who can't boot his own kernel!

Thanks again Stephen,
Andrea.

Stephen
04-21-2003, 11:59 PM
Try here for the mailing list (http://mailman.linuxtag.org/mailman/listinfo/debian-knoppix). Here is the LinuxTag (http://www.linuxtag.org) website it's in German.

gui
09-06-2003, 12:57 PM
Hi Andrea,

I think you have already solve the problem. If not, you will find all you need here:

http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/0/96ed97b0093f9fb44a2568c60036ca4e?OpenDocument

Guido

:D

garyng
09-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Um, web server on Lotus Domino, bring back some old memories :)

Back on topic for NT/lilo. I would suggest a little 'trick' which would make 'lilo' less intrusive(scary).

dd if=/dev/zero of=temp.img bs=1k count=180
losetup /dev/loop0 temp.img

then use /dev/loop0 as your boot device in lilo.conf since all you want is the first 512 byte of that device and lilo doesn't care if it is a loopback or not. In this way, you won't risk of screwing up the MBR or partition boot sector.

jackren
09-07-2003, 11:31 AM
after the "make kpkg --revision kernel....image... " command , do a "make modules " and then
"make modules install" , then install the ..image.deb and then modify lilo.conf , run lilo and
you should be able to boot the custum kernel (run these commands from the same kernel source as you compiled)

ps I you use initrd (look in /boot) , ad the "--initrd.img" command after the "make kpkg ......"