PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix-3.9 with scsi emulation for USB?

d00m3d
08-01-2005, 12:04 AM
I am fed up with the nasty ub support in the Knoppix kernel.

The Knoppix-3.9 kernel is compiled with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB=m by default. As a result, it masked all usb-storage devices and USB devices are no longer identified as /dev/sdaX, but /dev/ubaX.

This ub support is really a bitch. On the one hand, it is unstable, the data transmission rate will graduately decrease and eventually painfully slow. On the other hand, I am unable to install Knoppix directly from CD into a USB HDD because GRUB is not able to identify a /dev/ubaX for installation.

I tried to boot Knoppix with the nousb option and then modprobe all the other USB modules such as usbcore, usb-storage, usbhid, ohci-hcd, ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd etc except the ub module afterwards. No luck! All the USB modules are installed without error but /dev/sda1 still cannot be identified as a valid block device.

Installing the ub module, then my USB HDD works again but it becomes /dev/ubaX again!:(

Without installing Knoppix into HDD and get rid of the ub by re-compiling the kernel, are there any methods to boot Knoppix-3.9 without the ub, i.e. with SCSI emulation for USB again? Alternatively speaking, are there any methods to enable Knoppix-3.9 to identify USB storage devices as /dev/sdaX again?

Thanks in advance.

mhempel
08-03-2005, 12:58 PM
I have a similar problem with booting from USB-CDROMS.
Hardware are Dell X300 / Toshiba R100 both Laptops with no internal CDROM.
I can boot fine with older KNOPPIX Versions and the 2.4 Kernel and every USB-CDROM/Burner.
But every 2.6 Kernel ends with with:

Cant find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.

If there are no methods to boot without ub support. Is it possible to remaster KNOPPIX with a recompiled Kernel without ub support?

Thanks

AndersonSS
08-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I am having the same issue! Someone Please Help! I only have USB CD-Roms and no internal CD-Rom so I am limited to 3.7.

d00m3d
08-04-2005, 03:03 AM
I have a similar problem with booting from USB-CDROMS.
Hardware are Dell X300 / Toshiba R100 both Laptops with no internal CDROM.
I can boot fine with older KNOPPIX Versions and the 2.4 Kernel and every USB-CDROM/Burner.
But every 2.6 Kernel ends with with:

Cant find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.

If there are no methods to boot without ub support. Is it possible to remaster KNOPPIX with a recompiled Kernel without ub support?

ThanksRemastering Knoppix with a recompiled kernel without ub is definitely a solution. In fact, I can install Knoppix-3.9 into a USB HDD by installing it to a HDD, replicate it into USB HDD and then replaced the kernel with a custom kernel. This is a very tedious solution. Actually, installation from Kanotix to USB HDD is straight forward.

I just wondering if there are any possible way to boot without ub support.

I am having the same issue! Someone Please Help! I only have USB CD-Roms and no internal CD-Rom so I am limited to 3.7.Like Kanotix, in Knoppix 3.9, you can use the bootusb2 boot option to boot Knoppix from USB CDRom. So, boot Knoppix with:

knoppix bootusb2