PDA

View Full Version : hd installation changed video card not recognising it?

donnysrx
08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
hi all

I've got a hd install all working fine, I just thought I would put in a better video card, the old one is a trident thing, the replacement one is a S3 type 32mb ram.
I sure that these cards would be no problem for knoppix

when I put the S3 in, knoppix boots as normal and it still loads the trident drivers, when it gets to my login splash screen nothing happens and it goes back to the command line.

I can login in fine on the command line

I presume I have got to tell knoppix to search for new hardware and get it to detect the new card properly

not sure what the syntax is though,I've had a look thorough the forums but not turned up anything

thanks for any help

nrkuk
09-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Here's what worked for me -- boot knoppix from CD (not an HD install) and copy the XF86Config-4 file from /etc/X11/ to the same directory on your HD install. If the CD boots OK, I think you can use the XF86Config-4 that it creates.

do a "cp -p XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.bak" first, to save the original before you overwrite it on HD.

(Actually, I didn't just change the video card; I copied an HD install to a partition on another system, so video and
everything was different.)

Hope this helps!

sakiZ
09-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Would like to elaborate on all that was involved in moving a HD install to another partition on a n other computer?

Did you run into any other snags?

Did you do everything in Knoppix?

I may try doing this to my wife's computer.

sakiZ

sakiZ
10-13-2005, 02:23 AM
As it happened, I had to apply your tip to my own computer when my old highly overclocked Voodoo3 card died.

I booted Knoppix CD and copied the XF86Config-4 file to my HD.

The card is a Kyro II, which I had tried to use in Knoppix once before. I had read horror stories about folks trying to use their Kyro card in Knoppix.

Your down and dirty method is also quick and painless. :-)

I have a bit of tweaking to do. I can only get 1024x768 res.

I no longer can use Loadlin.exe to boot but can only boot with Lilo. ??????? No big deal.

At least I'm up and running again.

Thanks!!

sakiZ

sakiZ
10-18-2005, 03:47 AM
I no longer can use Loadlin.exe to boot but can only boot with Lilo.

Ok, I got back home from a little backpacking trip in W. VA. and started digging into tweaking my Kyro video card settings. I like 1280x1024 32 bit mode.

A little research on this and I found I have to insert the cheat code vga=795 into the Loadlin.exe command line. This is the decimal version of vga=0x31B. Knoppix/Debian likes the decimal version instead of the hex version.

The same code also works in the VGA section of the Lilo configuration file. lilo.conf.

I'm back in business with the trusty old Kyro.

sakiZ