PDA

View Full Version : Can't save configs to floppy

WebbPA
04-21-2003, 04:21 AM
Still a virgin, running Knoppix from HD with a boot floppy.

I've made a few changes - fonts, mouse speed, etc. - and saved them to my boot floppy. But when I boot using Knoppix floppyconfig I get a nice message saying all of the mods are recognized and loading but none of them take effect. Huh?

What's the difference between saving these configs to floppy and "persistent home"?

I'm willing to make pretty much any changes to my Win98 HD except repartitioning (soon, be gentle).

Ewen
04-26-2003, 06:49 AM
I can't answer your question unhappily but you may be able to answer mine... please tell me how you got to load Knoppix onto your HD and to load from there!

I have made a folder on my 98 HD labelled KNOPPIX and into it I have copied the entire 600 odd meg of the KNOPPIX folder on the CD. I have tried every batch file under the sun(until I've gone grey) and it still won't run.

To save time you could email me on:

ewen.bnospam@a1.com.au

Remove the 'nospam' first though.

Stephen
04-26-2003, 07:36 AM
I can't answer your question unhappily but you may be able to answer mine... please tell me how you got to load Knoppix onto your HD and to load from there!

I have made a folder on my 98 HD labelled KNOPPIX and into it I have copied the entire 600 odd meg of the KNOPPIX folder on the CD. I have tried every batch file under the sun(until I've gone grey) and it still won't run.

To save time you could email me on:

ewen.bnospam@a1.com.au

Remove the 'nospam' first though.

See the posts here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2021&highlight=).

Ewen
04-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Thanks Stephen... that is the thread I have been following and the one that I am having difficulty with. If you will refer to the same thread my latest post is at the end and it details my problems.

Regards.

WebbPA
04-26-2003, 01:12 PM
One more thing. When you boot from the floppy and you get the boot prompt, type "knoppix lang=us keyboard=us" for English. Find and print the cheat codes.

SerenityNet
04-26-2003, 05:33 PM
When you boot from the floppy and you get the boot prompt, type "knoppix lang=us keyboard=us" for English.

I kind of thought that was the point of saving config's - that is, so I don't have to type in my language, keyboard, screen resolution, etc.

Is there a way to just put in a (properly set up) floppy and have Knoppix open the way I want it - without any additonal boot prompts where I have to enter cheat codes?

Henk Poley
04-26-2003, 05:43 PM

I have made a folder on my 98 HD labelled KNOPPIX and into it I have copied the entire 600 odd meg of the KNOPPIX folder on the CD. I have tried every batch file under the sun(until I've gone grey) and it still won't run..
Copying the Knoppix folder should suffice, yes. Wierd that it doesn't work. Is the partition autodetected by Knoppix? When you boot from CD off coarse. You say (Win)98, so it should be FAT16 or 32, that should just work. NTFS won't, but isn't support bij Win98 anyways.

I works with my machine, though I just reboot with a rawritten boot floppy in the drive. Didn't try loadlin etc.