PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a small, HD-installable distro having Binc IMAP

NomadOfNorad
08-05-2005, 03:59 AM
I am looking for recommendations of a small-sized Linux live-CD distro that has Binc IMAP pre-installed on it and that is hard-drive installable.

The reason it needs to be a SMALL disk -- say, a business-card-sized CD -- is that I have dialuip, and downloading a full-sized-CD iso image would take... weeks! :lol:

Ideally I want something I can set up as a local-to-this-LAN IMAP server, in which multiple mailboxes are accessible from any other machine on the LAN, but all outgoing mails would be sent through my ISP's SMTP server, and that whatever username and mailbox addy that goes with that mailbox appears in the From: line of the message. (That is, I'm not forced to make all outgoing mails have the SAME From: name in them.)

Right now, I have what's called a multi-drop account at my ISP. That is, I have my own registered domaon-name, and all mail sent to that donmain-name is dumped into one POP3-server account, it is then sorted out at my end by a filter into various local mailbox names, based on what's in the To: line of each message. All outgoing mail goes through SMTP at the ISP, and it doesn't seem to matter to them what's in the From: line so long as my domain-name appears in it...

As an alternative, I have already the Knoppix V3.7-2004-12-08-EN live-CD burned to disc, and could install that to the hard drive of some machine here and then install Binc IMAP on there. However, my experience with Linux is limitted to having launched the live-CD a few times and played around with some of the programs on it I've also played with DamnSmallLinux, even installed it onto a machine once, and also have the Xorp Live-CD and a couple of Ubuntu live-CDs.

If someone could point me to a ready-made mini-CD iso with Binc IMAP on it, or give me pointers and reassurances on installing Binc IMAP onto a Knoppix HD install, I would be eternally grateful. :D

rusty
08-05-2005, 05:08 AM
OK , it' s probably less dificult than you think.

First, look over the many caveats abou installing Knoppix to HD that abound in these forums. If you have others like Ubuntu etc. try them out as live cd's and see how you like the look and feel. Since you already have some cds burned go ahead and install them to hd and see if they seem to work ok.

There are a bunch of IMAP applications that can be added via whichever distro you end up installing to hd. Adding the app doesn't mean downloading the entire distro cd, just the app. Probably not alot of time even on a slow connection.

The package manager that comes with Knoppix is Kpackage, for Ubuntu it's Synaptic. To take a look at kpackage for the knoppix live cd click on K->system->kpackage and search for packages containing the keywords for the app (file->find package)

good luck

NomadOfNorad
08-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, I pretty much already decided I preferred the look and feel of Knoppix over Ubuntu, and someone else had already put me onto using Knoppix because it came with KMail... and KMail had certain advantages of its own...

In any event, I got tired of downloading distro after distro, and it came high time to tell myself PICK ONE!!!!! :lol:

I had just hoped, though, that somewhere out there was a stand-alone-IMAP distro, something that would do for IMAP what http://www.serverelements.com did for network-accessible-servers. (It's an NAS on a floppy: Install a blank hard drive onto a machine, boot off the floppy, tell it what IP address you want it to use and have it format the hard drive, and you've got a network accessible fileserver. In fact, it stores nothing but files on the hard drive, the NAS OS itself is on the floppy, so you could actually fill all four IDE slots with hard drives if you wanted....)

Guess I'll have to decide which machine I'm going to install Knoppix onto and take a stab at installing Binc IMAP on it.

Has anyone else used Binc IMAP on Knoppix here?

UnderScore
08-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Has anyone else used Binc IMAP on Knoppix here?I'm no email guru, but I've never heard of Binc IMAP.

For what its worth, a small office/home office server non-LiveCD distro (HD install only) that I am familiar with is ClarkConnect 3.1 Home Edition.
"The best small business server you've never heard of" http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/05/30/2142221&tid=74
It can provide the following services (probably overkill for you): Web, FTP, Samba, DHCP, DNS, Firewall/gateway/router, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, Web email, Print, MySQL all through a web based GUI. I have used it for just email IMAP & SMTP & it works for me.

rusty
08-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Not to burden you with yet another distro, oh why not - Kanotix is a kde based knoppix derivative that comes with klik, an application that lets you download and run applications whilst running from live CD. I see that bincIMAP is one that you can try.

http://kanotix.com/info/index.php
http://klik.atekon.de/details.php?section=mail/&package=bincimap

Have fun.

NomadOfNorad
08-07-2005, 03:00 AM
Thank you UnderScore and Rusty, those links look really interesting, and I have saved the URLs for future reference...