PDA

View Full Version : ZoomAir 4000 PCMCIA "PRISM I" Wireless?

jackaljackal
08-05-2005, 05:33 PM
??? The Zoom Telephonics "ZoomAir 4000" PCMCIA 2Mbps Wireless card and Knoppix ???
----------------------------------------------

I had one of these old ZoomAir "PRISM I" cards in my junk pile. After I found out that the Knoppix 3.9 CD and the 4.0 DVD didn't want to see my Belkin F5D6020 802.11b CardBus PCCARD, I popped in the ZoomAir card. The red Power LED on the ZoomAir card lights up, but Knoppix doesn't see it. I think I found the source for a Linux driver that supports the ZoomAir 4000 at:

ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan/

It looks like Version 0.3.4 might have been the last beta release of the driver(?). From what I could see when I was reading, the odd number in the middle means that it was a beta release. The server also has a version 0.2.6 which would have been a stable release. The best candidate would probably be the 0.2.6 release. I'm not exactly sure where in the development tree the two different versions sit in relation to each other to be able to know which was the latest and the last.

Has anyone out there manged to get a ZoomAir 4000 (or 4005) working with any release of Knoppix?

It sure would be neat to be able to use this old PRISM I card. WEP support was only 64 bits, at least with its old Windows driver. It has one great advantage, it doesn't need a CardBus slot which is important for things like my old pen tablet...

-jackaljackal-