PDA

View Full Version : network not working

samfrog88
08-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Now, I have searched all over these forums and I haven not been able to find something that helps me with my dilema. I'm using the live cd of knoppix 3.9 and I can't seem to access the internet. I ran an lspci and it listed my network card as Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter. And i checked on its status and it's sending and recieving packets, but the number sent matches the number recieved EXACTLY, so i think it's just getting back the packets that it sent out. DHCP also fails. I connect to my modem through a switch, and when i boot my laptop in Windows, it works just fine DHCP'ing for an IP address. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

UnderScore
08-06-2005, 05:50 AM
First make sure Knoppix is detecting & loading the appropriate driver. At the prompt: ifconfig -a
It should list a eth0 device. If that is not listed, then the driver is not being loaded.

If it is listed, Knoppix boots with a splash screen. At that splash screen you can enter codes which will force Knoppix to do certain things. Theses codes are known as Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes). I know that on 1 of my PCs, if I do not use a particular Cheat Code, the mahine will act bizzare and the network wont work. You may need to try:
knoppix acpi=off
OR
knoppix noapic