PDA

View Full Version : Netgear WGR614v6 advisory

m2bord
08-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I am just sending this post to explain to everyone who reads this of the problems that Netgear is having with their WGR614v6 wireless firewall/router.

I have had a trouble ticket opened with them for some time because the router will only recognize one device (a laptop) and then it'll only assign that one an IP if it's booted into winxp.

If I boot into Knoppix from the same laptop, I am given some 169.x.x.x ip address which isn't even on the same subnet.

I opened a ticket with Netgear shortly after discovering this and it's now almost a week later, there is no resolution. Their techs are answering at the furious rate of one post every 24 hours.

Their web site acknowledges that there are problems with this firewall router with WEP and DHCP enabled.

Their fix? Turn off one or the other.

The trouble is that I did turn off DHCP and assigned ip's and the boxes could not see the network.

So I turned off WEP and turned DHCP back on. Now all wireless devices can get on but the data traffic that they transmit is completely open.

I am posting this because there are people out there right now looking to purchase a wireless router for dorm/home/apt/etc...

Avoid this one unless you wish only connect one laptop to it that's only running the WinXP operating system.

And fwiw...this router is on its sixth revision and it's a little over a year old. Their last firmware update was back in early May and there doesn't seem to be any fix in the pipes for their WEP/DHCP problem.

So tomorrow, I'm taking this hunk of junk back and purchasing another brand yet to be determined.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place...but I tried to put this in the appropriate forum.

Thanks!
john

firnsy
08-09-2005, 10:47 AM
I too have this router and i've had no problem, I do however use WPA-PSK rather than WEP as it a more stronger encryption algorithm.
It is disappointing that it won't work for you, I finally settled for Netgear after having some real dramas with DLink and Belkin products.

Alas I do hope you find one that will suite your needs.