PDA

View Full Version : Read Only? Cannot Install Knoppix to Hdd

DaveTroupe
08-06-2005, 10:42 AM
OK so yea I'm new to this whole "Linux" thing and I really like Knoppix and I've read about a hundred pages about how to install it non of them have helped me what so ever. Ok I already have a 4 gig partition set up to boot for Linux. (hda5) I've tryed sudo knoppix-installer sudo knoppix-installer-latest-web and IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer. I made it the farthest with the last. However when I try to install it i run through all the b/s with login names and such and when it goes to formatt the hda5 partition it comes up with some error about it. I also cannot install it with sudo knoppix-installer for some odd reason? the cfdisk says my HDD is read only and I do not have permission to write. So i gave up and I'm turning to you guys to help a nub out. Thanks in advance all help is much appreciated.

PS Windows sucks!

gordonbp
08-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I had this problem - boot from the CD and format the HDD or partition you are gouing to install on with Qparted from the Live CD. I dual-boot Knoppix, and I formatted the free space on my HDD as a primary single partition with ext/3. When I did the install (did you press Ctl-Alt-F2 to get to the root command line before doing knoppix-install?) I then took the default options apart from the multi-user setup and it installed perfectly.

HTH

DaveTroupe
08-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Yea I hit ctrl+alt+f2 lol but when I type sudo qtparted that doesnt work it says "qtparted: couldnt connect to X server" help please?

gordonbp
08-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Yea I hit ctrl+alt+f2 lol but when I type sudo qtparted that doesnt work it says "qtparted: couldnt connect to X server" help please?

You misunderstood my post. You need to use Qparted BEFORE you do Ctl-Alt-F2, ie while still in KDE desktop.