PDA

View Full Version : Booting problem.. :|

JUSTiNB
08-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Hi, I see ther are a few threads with this same problem (and i have already tried the advice in those)... and let me say right from the start, I am seriously Linux impared, I've never used it, although I like what I see in Knoppix :D anyway...

I am using the 3.9 version, and I also downloaded 3.8.2 and tried to run both, but they hang at the Autoconfiguring Devices section, as in, I am unable to do anything but reset the computer. However, I am able to get into the graphical interface with 'boot: knoppix nohwsetup'. But that doesn't help because then my alternate USB CD burner isn't detected, my internet connection, or anything else but the mouse and hard drives... or maybe I am just doing something wrong?

Anyway, i desperatley need this to work, my external hard drive decided to stop working, so i had to take it out of the case and hook it up as a internal hard drive, which Linux can detect. I played the files in the media player on Knoppix without a problem.

I am also sure that the images i burned were burned at a slow speed, and are also complete. (they started up on my laptop flawlessly!)

My overal objective with using Knoppix: get it working, burn off the files on my hard drive which isn't working correctly (on a alternate USB cd burner, or even better, is it possible to startup using the USB burner, and burn the files onto a DVD with the internal?), then return to Windows and be happy :D

Any help is appreciated greatly :) I lost 50gb+ of files that seem to still be floating there.....

--
ok i found out where knoppix kept choking at, my video card (Radeon 9200 PCI). so i loaded it using the onboard graphics and it loaded! :D but it didn't detect my USB CD Burner, which i need in order to burn off my files :/