PDA

View Full Version : what am I running?

Allowee
04-21-2003, 05:39 PM
i installed knoppix 3.2 on my hd.

so it's now Debian.

but i can't find what version it is.
i know that i got kernel 2.4.20-xfs
but what version of debian am i running now?

aay
04-21-2003, 06:03 PM
You're running a mix of stable, unstable, and testing. Knoppix draws from several different sources. You will want to have a look at /etc/apt/sources.list for more details.

GREGC
04-21-2003, 06:05 PM
In addition to this question, what steps are needed to be taken to keep the HD installed version current with debian testing, stable or unstable?

What sources need to be present in apt/sources.list and what version needs to be listed in apt.conf?

For example, if we wanted to keep our systen updated as testing, what changes need to be made?

Also, what are the chances that something will break if updated? I love the Alsa being built in...will that break if I update the system? Or do I have to compile a new kernel to break Alsa?

GregC

RockMumbles
04-21-2003, 06:06 PM
look at /etc/debian_version

Knoppix is (was, should be) - testing/unstable

knoppix actually has sources.list entries for stable, testing and unstable.

HTH

rock

Allowee
04-21-2003, 06:12 PM
talking about sources.list....

is there a place where i can get a 'new' sources.list

i've ben editing it...
apt-get gives me 404 errors.

but now my floppy, where i put backups, is unreadable (cheap quality)

so i'm really in the need of sources.list

I want to do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
but it won't work when the servers return 404 not found

GREGC
04-21-2003, 06:20 PM
What I was getting at is this...I know knoppix is a mix of testing/stable/etc...but what if I want it to JUST be stable or testing?

This way I can keep current with that particular branch of debian. Right now, it's pulling from different sources, and I'm having a hard time installing programs as I want them. For example:

I apt-get install Gkrellm2...I see it download Gkrellm2 and Gkrellm. Cool I think...it installs Gkrellm then gkrellm2. BUT, only Gkrellm is available. Why is that? I want to use gkrellm2, but gkrellm installs only 1.2x. I want to use the plugins for 2.x, but only have 1.2 available. 2.x is in kpackage, as installed, but where it is, who knows?

GregC

GREGC
04-21-2003, 06:46 PM
regarding the apt sources list, you can edit it by hand.

What I do is as "apt-get update"...then watch the error messages. It will tell you which server has an error. Then use your editor to correct the mistake or comment it out.

Then update again and see if the error is still there.

GregC

Allowee
04-21-2003, 08:57 PM
i got sources.list fixed.

splited the 'main contrib non-free' to lines and started looking.

when i found fetch errors i knew that the dirctory wasn't good.
changed it and it started working.

and now it's all working :)

rickenbacherus
04-22-2003, 05:58 AM
What I was getting at is this...I know knoppix is a mix of testing/stable/etc...but what if I want it to JUST be stable or testing?

Then just comment out what you don't want to upgrade. I only upgrade security & testing myself. Usually I just go to Debian and get the .deb and install it myself if I need something from another branch but that's just my preference.

RockMumbles
04-22-2003, 06:33 AM
what version needs to be listed in apt.conf?
apt-conf should be set to testing as default. So unless a package is installed from unstable and only available in unstable, apt-get will get the package from testing, if you get dependency errors etc. then you should try using:

apt-get -t unstable install *package-name

which will get the package from unstable instead of testing.

rock