PDA

View Full Version : Booting from harddisk

geohei
08-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi.

I have an 3.3 Knoppix CD, which is (of course) bootable.

Now ... I need to run Knoppix from a computer (server), which doesn't have a CD drive. How can I use Knoppix on this computer? I thought there might be a possibility to transfer the data to an empty harddisk on that computer, but how can I boot from this one?

Many thanks!

ockham23
08-08-2005, 05:03 PM
If the computer (server) is capable of booting via NIC (e.g., PXE boot) and your Knoppix 3.3 cd has the terminal server script on it, you might be able to boot and install Knoppix from another computer on your LAN. I know that the script is integrated in Knoppix 3.7 and later, but I have no first hand information on 3.3.

Here is more information on this solution; it's fast, and I used it several times with great success:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20341&highlight=terminal+server

Don't forget to uncheck "disallow root access on client" when you run the script; you need root priviledges to install Knoppix on the server.

And here is a description by someone who did it with Knoppix 3.3 and a Thinkpad X40:

I consider the Knoppix CD as a Swiss Knife for everything regarding system rescue. Unfortunately, up to Knoppix 3.3, it does not support to be booted from a USB connected CD drive. Starting with version 3.4, it is supported.

Glad to have a Thinkpad, since it supports PXE to boot off another system in case you cannot boot from a CD drive. So I started the Knoppix on another system, started the Knoppix terminal server from Knoppix 3.3 (when booted into KDE, look in the K-Menu for the link to the terminal server setup).

I booted into the X40 into the BIOS and made the booting from the network the first boot option. Now when rebooting the system (that of course is connected to the same network as the terminal server), it boots from the Knoppix terminal server - yes, it is that easy! :-)

From http://www.chronox.de/x40_linux/linux_on_x40.html

geohei
08-08-2005, 11:30 PM
If the computer (server) is capable of booting via NIC (e.g., PXE boot) and your Knoppix 3.3 cd has the terminal server script on it, you might be able to boot and install Knoppix from another computer on your LAN. I know that the script is integrated in Knoppix 3.7 and later, but I have no first hand information on 3.3.
Thanks a lot for your information. I'll give that one a try as soon as time permits (guess, it takes some time to go through this ...).

Meanwhile ... is it not possible to copy all files on the Knoppix CD via the LAN to an empty harddisk on my computer, set this harddisk inside the MBR active and boot Knoppix from this harddisk?

Thanks,

ockham23
08-09-2005, 09:01 AM
guess, it takes some time to go through this

No, not at all, if your computer supports network boot. Just check your BIOS for boot options. Do you have a separate network interface card (PCI slot) or an onboard solution?

If the network boot doesn't work, take a look at "ISO boot from ..." in the hdd install section of the board. If I remember it correctly, somebody created a boot floppy that loads a KNOPPIX files from hard drive. That was possible with older Knoppix versions up to 3.4.

There is more information on alternative install methods in the documentation section, e.g. "poor man's install".

geohei
08-23-2005, 06:20 PM
I started the "terminal Server" and booted the other computer via LAN. However the last one didn't boot Knoppix. Guess my onboard LAN doesn't support PXE :?: :evil:

Anyway ... thanks a lot for your help!