PDA

View Full Version : Mom's Knoppix - stop Konqueror at KDE startup

blittle
08-09-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm rebuilding my mother-in laws pc for the 5th time and decided to try a dual-boot win2k/knoppix.37 using a slightly custom version of 'windows partition PMI' from the wiki here. (Knoppix default 3.7/2.6 kernel)

I've used knoppix to rescue a few machines and have had a dual-boot with win2k on my laptop since 3.6.
Since my MIL still can't grasp the concept that 'e' isn't the internet and when to click/dclick, Setting up a damn-near-bulletproof Knoppix install just for 'internet' and email (web based) presents little risk for her.
If you screw it up, just reboot. :)
Knoppix is the closest thing to 'appliance desktop computing' I can think of.
You don't NEED to have a clue to use Linux, stump stupid works too. ;)

I know how to configure most of the critical settings (network,etc), I've setup and used at least 6 distro's over the past few years, I have a Mandrake 10.1 server, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to stop from loading Konqueror - Knoppix Info at KDE startup in Knoppix!?

Am I really that newbie or did Knoppix put the startup somewhere odd?

UnderScore
08-09-2005, 01:51 AM
If the MIL only uses a webbrowser, then there is something you might be interested in. Not a Knoppix derivative but based on Morphix.
http://blogs.livecd.net/www/index.php has links to two LiveCDs. One is designed to be a internet cafe web kiosk OS with the ability to surf normally with FireFox. The other is designed to a complete locked down kiosk (not permitted to surf normally) kiosk OS with FireFox. Ghandalfar (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1509) is one of the main developers that makes the LiveKiosk at livecd.net.

stop from loading Konqueror - Knoppix Info at KDE startup in Knoppix!?It is probably being called by a script. Look for a file on the desktop or in /home/knoppix/Desktop/. It should be named KNOPPIX.desktop. It is the link that makes Konqueror do the welcome html. Try renaming the KNOPPIX.desktop file to prevent it from loading it.

blittle
08-09-2005, 02:02 AM
stop from loading Konqueror - Knoppix Info at KDE startup in Knoppix!?It is probably being called by a script. Look for a file on the desktop or in /home/knoppix/Desktop/. It should be named KNOPPIX.desktop. It is the link that makes Konqueror do the welcome html. Try renaming the KNOPPIX.desktop file to prevent it from loading it.[/quote]

I renamed KNOPPIX.Desktop to KNOPPIX.old and saved Knoppix configuration (including desktop files) and rebooted. Knoppix added the KNOPPIX.Desktop files back. Now I have KNOPPIX.old AND KNOPPIX.Desktop on my desktop. :)

UnderScore
08-09-2005, 02:19 AM
The script is pulling all the files from /etc/skel. As root user, rename/move/delete /etc/skel/Desktop/KNOPPIX.desktop

blittle
08-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Interestingly, I cannot find the KNOPPIX.Desktop file . (Knoppix 3.7)
/etc/skel is a symlink to /KNOPPIX/etc/skel and /KNOPPIX/etc/skel/Desktop only contains Floppy and trash.

UnderScore
08-09-2005, 03:09 AM
Sorry. It got both of us confused. Normally, all the user files are pulled from /etc/skel but in this case it is anything but normal. There is a script at /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and it controls much of how Knoppix loads the user's $HOME directory and how KDE is run.
At line 167, there is a IF sh shell script block that defines the KNOPPIX.desktop file. You should be able to comment it all out.
167 if [ -e "$INDEXFILE" ]; then
168 cat >> $HOME/Desktop/KNOPPIX.desktop <<EOF
169 [Desktop Entry]
170 Name=KNOPPIX
171 # Exec=kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing $INDEXFILE
172 Exec=konqueror --geometry 850x600+85+70 file:$INDEXFILE
173 Type=Application
174 Icon=html
175 Terminal=0
176 EOF
177 ln $HOME/Desktop/KNOPPIX.desktop $HOME/.kde/Autostart/showindex.desktop
178 fi

blittle
08-09-2005, 03:46 AM
Thanks.
Unfortuantely /KNOPPIX is read-only.
I haven't yet found a way to mount it RW.

blittle
08-09-2005, 04:14 AM
I still haven't found a way to save the changes.
For clarity, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession is a symlink to /KNOPPIX/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and is all read-only.
I'll post back if I find a way to do it.