PDA

View Full Version : KDE3.4.2 working from Ubuntu sources

arkaine23
08-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Just thought I'd mention that my remastering is going pretty well with KDE 3.4.2. I had some trouble getting kdelibs replaced/installed and I'd hopped from kde 3.4.0 to 3.4.1-1 from an unofficial debian source to 3.4.2 from Ubuntu. No idea what this might mean in the way of headaches for me in the long run....

Having the incorrect kdelibs package (or maybe it was simply in a broken state) caused some unusual problems like - empty kontrol center/empty kmenu/empty kicker. Fixing it brought everything but the menu back. Fixing the menu proved to be not too tough, but then that's really relative, as tough to me is defined as wrestiling with the menus for more than 20 hours. It seemed once I remade the category folders that most of my items were still there so it only took me a couple of hours to get it all just right.

I found a hidden option for making the menu items and icons larger than normal in ~/.kickerrc, so its all looking pretty sweet. I pulled an openoffice 2.0 package from kanotix into the mix too. BTW, does anyone know where I can get the original acroread that comes with Knoppix? 7.0.0.9 is like 55MB whereas the one in knoppix (4.0?, 5.0?) is like 13.9MB. That's help me a lot.

Screenshot later tonight. I should get the iso built very soon. This'll be based on Knoppix 3.7 and is updated to the latest unstable packages. I've found UnionFS so far to cause more trouble than its worth, so maybe next time around I'll make a 4.0 DVD and CD.

Now to sort out qemu....