PDA

View Full Version : Installed Knoppix 3.9 to SATA HDD but it wont boot.

fechin
08-11-2005, 05:32 AM
I've got a new PC and I've installed knoppix 3.9 on it. Knoppix detected the SATA HDD which I partitioned using qtparted. I used the ext3 filesystem. The install process wrote the boot record the the MBR. I then tried to boot up without the live cd and I get the the following message: "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"

HD is Western Digital WD1600JDRTL
Motherboard Intel D945GNT

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.

UnderScore
08-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Where & when do you get that message? Does it successfully boot from the HD? Or is this before it boots from the HD?
A PXE message usually indicates that the network card is configured as a boot device and the system is attempting to boot off the network card. Did you change the boot order in the system's BIOS? If so, you may need to readjust the boot order so that it does not attempt to boot off the network card.

fechin
08-11-2005, 06:55 AM
Where & when do you get that message? Does it successfully boot from the HD?

It appears before it boots from the HD. Here is the full message.
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

NOTE: I'm doing the install remotly. My helper at the other end skills are limited to inserting/removing a CD and doing a few BIOS things.

I've asked my helper to check the boot device order and put the HD before the CD. The HDD came with a partitioning CD that when run from the booting asked the user to select an OS. Linux was not an option :( WinXP was selected.

The new error message is
NTLDR is missing
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

This would guess that its trying to boot from the HDD?? Could this HDD/Motherboard be designed to run windows only?

fechin
08-13-2005, 02:26 AM
If fixed the problem by reinstalling knoppix. This was a hardware issue and nothing to do with knoppix.