PDA

View Full Version : Creating Linux and Swap partitions on a blank drive

pezz453
08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I've searched high and low for partitioning software that will create linux ext3 ext2 and swap partitions from a boot disk.
I take it there is a better way? :?:

UnderScore
08-11-2005, 06:28 PM
I have installed a brand new untouched HD in a system and partitioned it using Knoppix.
boot off the Knoppix CD with the cheat code:
knoppix nofstab

Then when Knoppix fully loads the GUI desktop, you can run the GUI partitioner tool: qtparted
If you are comfortable with the command line, then run the command 'cfdisk /dev/hda' to partition the HD. You may have to reboot in order for the system to recognize the partition changes. Next, format the partitions with the desired filesystem.
format a ext2fs filesystem: mke2fs -v /dev/hda1
format a ext3fs filesystem: mke2fs -vj /dev/hda2
format a swap parition:mkswap /dev/hda3

Harry Kuhman
08-11-2005, 07:07 PM
boot off the Knoppix CD with the cheat code:
knoppix nofstab
James, can you tell us what the nofstab cheat code is? I've looked at the cheat codes section of the wiki (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes) but find no explination of it (the only mention of nofstab is in one example using it along with a number of other cheat codes, but no clue as to what it is intended to do).

pezz453
08-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Wonderful. Last time I installed Knoppix it was on a dual-boot system so i used Partition Magic from windows. This is just as great. Thank you.

Yes, also I could not find much information on 'nofstab'.

UnderScore
08-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Sure.
By default Knoppix will look/scan the HDs to see if it contains partitions. If the HDs do have partitions, Knoppix will automatically build a '/etc/fstab' file and fill-in the appropriate partition entries and will also create the '/mnt/hdxx' mount points. The 'nofstab' cheat code prevents this look/scan and prevents the generation of the /etc/fstab and its mount points.

Reasons why someone might use 'nofstab':
*HD is brand new & no partitions. Not necessary to scan it.
*User plans to do HD/partition maintenance. Do not want /etc/fstab & mount points to be created.
*Combine 'nofstab' with 'noswap' to force Knoppix to not even touch a HD. Again useful for HD/partition maintenance but also for data recovery and forensics.

Usage of the nofstab cheat code will probably break the userfriendly desktop HD icons since they rely on the the automatic config of both fstab & the mount points.

Harry Kuhman
08-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks James, good info. I'll give you time to add it to the wiki, but if you don't do it yourself, I'm going to cut and paste plagerize you and copy what you wrote above into the cheat code section. :D

maxIT
08-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Isn't better swapping with /dev/hda1 since it's the faster :?:

UnderScore
08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Isn't better swapping with /dev/hda1 since it's the faster :?:Yes if you use swap space it should have better performance. But for maintenace or data forensics purposes it is necessary to disable swap acess.
*Try this only on a spare HD *
Partition & format a spare HD as I suggested in the post above.
Then reboot Knoppix normally. Then attempt to add, remove, resize partitions while the swap partition is enabled. It may be successful or it could fail. The write/resize processes will attempt to change the sectors on the HD where the swap is currently active. It could work but each process will be stepping on each other sort of like 2 people trying to go through a door-way at the same time.