PDA

View Full Version : running on Windows partition

kyrk46
04-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Dear Guru

Knoppix rocks! But many of my friends find CDs rather sluggish, want to change to linux, but don't want to risk repartitioning (especially if they have winmodems that don't work under Linux). I think what would be even more extraordinary is if Knoppix could run on any Windows partition on the actual hard disk without any need for repartitioning (which remains a massive deterrent for people who want to make a permanent shift to Linux). Is that sort of thing possible?

K.Y.R.K.

eadz
04-21-2003, 09:19 PM
if it's a FAT 32 partition ( NOT NTFS ) the answer is yes, check out
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo

A. Jorge Garcia
04-21-2003, 09:42 PM
Take a look at the discussions I've been having regarding your idea:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2021

Good Luck,

kyrk46
04-21-2003, 11:06 PM
Thanks A. Jorge Garcia,
Yes that might work - I'll definitely try it out sometime.
I am thinking more along the lines of an NTFS (e.g. Windows XP) system though... does that complicate procedures hugely? (I am an amateur when it comes to linux)
Even commercial-ish things like WinLinux 2003 don't even think of supporting NTFS without repartitioning - it would be great if Knoppix did.
And there remains the problem of not being to write freely to hard disk when booting the system on hard disk.

kyrk46

A. Jorge Garcia
04-22-2003, 01:10 AM
Sorry, KNOPPIX just does not play well with NTFS - due to cloop?. In fact, there's a FAQ somewhere on this site about the file systems KNOPPIX works with and there's a huge warning not to wirte to NTFS from Linux. You can read from it, but if you write to it you can cause irreparable damage!

Be Careful,

VeeDubb
04-22-2003, 02:04 AM
There are some distros that will let you write to NTFS by default, but the devs should be shot. As said before, writing to NTFS is VERY dangerous to the NTFS partition. I've done it before without problems, but I've also done it and needed to reformat the partition.

THe other thing to keep in mind, is the XP DOES NOT require NTFS. It is only needed for dealing with VERY large single partitions, witch are a bad idea anyway. I forget what the threashold is, but I think it's like 40GB or something. Plus, even in windows, you can just make multiple partitions and direct where you install things.

If your partitions aren't large enough to require NTFS, whitch they almost never should be, the only advantage to NTFS is a longer file name with some extra info that is only useful to uber geek power users.

Stephen
04-22-2003, 03:20 AM
Sorry, Linux in general, not just KNOPPIX, does not play well with NTFS.

It's not Linux that's the problem it's Microsoft's file system lockout for other OS's.

garyng
04-22-2003, 09:54 AM
KNOPPIX cannot be living on an NTFS partition, even you follow the Hdbased How to. The problem seems to be that cloop.o does not like NTFS(for whatever reason), even read only. I tried to do it and my keyboard LED blinks right after I load the cloop.o onto the file KNOPPIX sitting on NTFS(and hang). So forget it until it is fixed, either cloop or the NTFS module code.

qa1433
04-22-2003, 06:11 PM
You said you tried WinLinux 2003. Well if you want to install a really nice, fast Linux on your XP partition then try Topologilinux. It is really fast! Easy to install also. :lol:
Topologilinux has released version 3.0.0 which has many new features. You can still run it under any version of Windows and both NTFS and FAT filesystems are supported. This version now also includes the Alsa sound drivers which makes almost all soundcard work. This distribution is based on Slackware 9.0 and comes with Gnome 2.2 Kde 3.1 and a few other windows Mgrs. It also has many other appz. You will have to download OO seperatly. But OO istalls are very easy. Licq and Wine are still included (a linux ICQ client and a program called Wine to run your Windows appz.
Topologilinux is very easy to install just insert the cd when you are in windows and the installation starts automatically. Then you boot with the cd in and write "install" and press enter and install your system. Then your system is installed just insert this cd and press enter when you want to run
Topologilinux !
Go to the Download area and download or you can order the cd with Topologilinux 3.0.0! :idea:

http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/

Download it and burn the ISO. You will enjoy it. I have it installed on my XP system and did not have to partition the drive to install it

Have fun,
paul 8)

kyrk46
04-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Many thanks to you all for the advice - it is hugely appreciated.
The great thing about Knoppix is the huge capacity to auto-detect appliances installed in your computer and also a wide range of peripherals.
You say that Topologilinux is "easy to install" but also that it is "based on Slackware". Does that not mean therefore that Topologilinux could be a right headache as regards having to manually find and fine-tune configuration files? I have heard of Topologilinux before, and so far I haven't come across anyone who has had problems using it on NTFS, which is definitely encouraging. Having said that, it seems to be quite an unknown distribution compared to others (or am I wrong?).

If Topologilinux has Knoppix's capabilities for auto-detecting stuff, it would seriously rival Knoppix... simply because Knoppix can't run on an NTFS partition.

A. Jorge Garcia
04-23-2003, 12:10 AM
I used to use Slackware alot. I know its a nightmare to configure everything just the way you need it. However, that was the preKNOPPIX era where it was supposed to be that way. In fact Slackware was great 'cause it was a better UNIX than UNIX and it was free!

I haven't used zipslack or bigslack (which ran from DOS partitions) ever since their forum went down. Another main draw to Slack for me was the big and savy user base in the forum that would help with anything you needed. I rediscovered that support with the KNOPPIX forums, first on linuxtag and now here.

Now everyone wants user-friendliness and easy installation and autodetection galore. Well, I'm all over that too! I guess I'm a convert now....

Regards,

qa1433
04-23-2003, 12:15 PM
All,
Topologilinux is "easy to install" and right it is "based on Slackware". You ask if therefore Topologilinux could be a headache as regarding to manually find and fine-tune configuration files?

The only problem I had during the install was my screen resolution on my HP XP2200 box. Nividia drivers and resolution problems. a little editing of the X configuration file and I was in business.
The folks at forums the likes of Vectors Linux, Topologilinux (Tobias was really helpful), lLnuxpackages.nets to name a few were very knowlegable, helpful and friendly.

Some of my final toughts on Topologilinux is:
It detected my soun card (Knoppix still does not)
It runs faster then XP does (and both are very fast)
I Installed Dropeline Gnome (a really kool Gnome) and have all the latest appz.

I think that Knoppix and Topologilinux are created for diffrent needs. I run and installed Knoppix, JAMD (RH Based), Win2k, and Topologilinux on my 400 clarion, 64M, 40 GB junk box.

But my wife has the nice new HP box and in order to introduce her to Linux I dropped Topologilinux on it for her. She likes it because I was able to modify it with programs to render and edit .pdf's. which works well for her business. I was able to do this with oiut having to partitioning her drive, something I did not want to have to do with XP.

Sorry for rambling on,

Anyways, give it a try. it playss well with NTFS and in my expirence it is a faster OS then XP.

Have fun, paul 8)

kyrk46
04-24-2003, 03:07 PM
I have Topologilinux running on my computer...
It seems alright, it's detected my sound, resolution, everything except my winmodem (that's expected), and the wheel on my mouse, which can probably be remedied with some xf86config tweaking.
I also can't print... yet.
Is it possible to write to the NTFS partition, like when you are saving files in Windows directories?

qa1433
04-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Kyrk46,
I would recommend against it. I know with the NT5 NTFS you could write to it without problems using the newer NTFS drivers. But for win2K & XP M$ changed how NTFS is configured. :cry:

Read the bellow link. Some interesting Linux/NTFS info: :?:
http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/

paul
8)

qa1433
04-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Kyrk46,
SORRY! Wrong link. :oops:
The corret link is below:
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

Paul 8)

garyng
04-25-2003, 02:28 PM
I tried again using the new NTFS driver, and this time it works. So a quick summary for NTFS and KNOPPIX :

It works if the new 2.x NTFS driver is used(a custom kernel build is needed). I can now place the big KNOPPIX file on an NTFS partition. However, I only use it as 'quick CD' and read only. This may not be useful for most people though as there isn't a boot loader for linux that can boot from NTFS partition(I hope the lilo maintainer can change it). I have always kept a VFAT partition for any new harddisk I install as it is the common denominator that almost all OS can handle. For a typical off the shelf machine, it would be one big disk of VFAT(which KNOPPIX has no problem to run from) or NTFS(which would require a boot floppy). So able to running off NTFS is not such a big deal.

qa1433
04-25-2003, 05:10 PM
KOOL!

Fabianx
04-25-2003, 09:12 PM
All,
[...]
It detected my soun card (Knoppix still does not)
[...]

Sorry, I know that I am a bit off-topic here atm, but as I need feedback, I wondered if your soundcard was not even detected with alsa-cheatcode (knoppix alsa) on newer knoppix' ?! [I wrote that support, so if it really does not work, drop me a mail at: knx-alsa@fabian-franz.de]

I'll look into this topologi-linux, thx for the idea.

cu

Fabian

qa1433
04-25-2003, 10:12 PM
Fabian,
Well I never tried it with the alsa-cheatcode (knoppix alsa). I did not know that they were avalible? :oops:

I will have to give it a re-try. I chalked the sound detection problem to a HP XP2200 incompatability with Knoppix.

I will give it a try this weekend. Is there a FAQ on what the cheatcode is?

Thanks for the help!
Paul 8)

Fabianx
04-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Fabian,
Well I never tried it with the alsa-cheatcode (knoppix alsa). I did not know that they were avalible? :oops:

I will have to give it a re-try. I chalked the sound detection problem to a HP XP2200 incompatability with Knoppix.

I will give it a try this weekend. Is there a FAQ on what the cheatcode is?

Thanks for the help!
Paul 8)

be sure to look into the changelog on your preferred knopix-mirror (03-04-18 is currrent)

It is just availabe since uhm 04-15 or so ...

cu

Fabian

PS: The cheatcode activates the ALSA-soundsystem (www.alsa-project.org)

Jean Béliveau
05-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Use KNOPPIX compressed file from HD, or RAM or Samba or ... instead of CDROM is a usuful idea.
But in the linuxrc of the miniroot of the boot.img this compressed file is in a directory /cdrom. So this monting point is not available for many standard use. This situation induce confusion when KNOPPIX file are found on HD or RAM or...
The device were KNOPPIX file is found lose some fonctions.

To avoid this, I suggest to use a special monting point like :
/stock instead of /cdrom for the device were KNOPPIX file is found.
So /cdrom/KNOPPIX will be change to /stock/KNOPPIX in softlink and may script.

Also I suggest to make the KNOPPIX file readonly instead of make all the device readonly when it is possible.

With those modications KNOPPIX can use CD burnner easyer.

And for more clean copy of KNOPPIX CDROM on HD or ... I suggest to put all things (Demos.. autorun.bat..) except autorun inf in the KNOPPIX directory. LInk are to be ajust also.

For users without CD bunner or for those have copy the iso as file in the CD, I suggest to give outside the iso a new boot.img with in the linuxrc a new mounting point like :
/mnt/xx/KNOPPIXvv.iso /mnt/loop5 iso9660 ro,loop=/dev/loop5 0 0
were xx is the device were KNOPPIXvv.iso are found and
vv the version of KNOPPIX

Also, at boot If the user not give his choice at the CMDLINE, the linuxrc can list all the founded KNOPPIX compressed file with localisation and date. If many KNOPPIX are found, the choice can by offer to the user.

garyng
05-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Jean,

all are very good ideas, I have already made some changes myself to the linuxrc and in order to support loading from a list of existing KNOPPIX images, the shell used in the initrd must be changed.

I have replaced it with a busybox compiled with diet which have more functionalites(bott the ash as well as other things like ls, find etc.) and can maintain the same object file size as Klaus ash-knoppix.

Keeping the boot.img within the 1.44MB envelope but at the same time provide more feature(in linuxrc) is not an easy task :) .

ruymbeke
07-10-2004, 03:34 AM
I tried again using the new NTFS driver, and this time it works. So a quick summary for NTFS and KNOPPIX :
It works if the new 2.x NTFS driver is used(a custom kernel build is needed). I can now place the big KNOPPIX file on an NTFS partition. However, I only use it as 'quick CD' and read only. This may not be useful for most people though as there isn't a boot loader for linux that can boot from NTFS partition(I hope the lilo maintainer can change it).

GRLDR a patched version of Grub 0.95 can do it now ! Grub can be loaded from the NT/XP boot loader by adding a line in the boot.ini file. Grub will also be able to load a kernel and a ramdisk from a NTFS partition !!!

I am looking now for booting Knoppix 3.4 from an ISO file being on a single NTFS partition already hosting XP and that with a minimum of changes and risk for the user. cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796

I am almost there but it still hangs within the linuxrc script when looking for the loopback filesystem image. Any help will be greatly apreciated !
Thanks, Gilles