PDA

View Full Version : DHCP and Masqdialer setup for a newbie

bagabag
08-12-2005, 07:49 AM
I'm brand new to Knoppix (and all things Linux). Everything seems to boot just fine from the CD-R on my Dell Inspiron 9100. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me:

1) I'm seemingly not connecting to the Internet through my network. Our network has a Masqdialer server to enable Internet connections, and we run WinMasqdialer to connect our Windows desktops. Is there a Knoppix equivalent? Does it come packaged with Knoppix, or do I have to download another program? (I also have to designate a proxy server in order to get on with my browser, but that's a different address than the Masqdialer server.)

2) Is the Knoppix configuration set to automatically grab an IP address from my network's DHCP server? I really don't want to do anything to foul up the existing network setup. My IT guy might kill me if I use an IP address assigned to someone else.

3) On a related subject, Knoppix isn't acting as a DHCP server by default, is it? I already had my hand slapped for setting up a wireless router that was passing out IP addresses (in the wrong address range) and fouling up the network. I want to get Knoppix running correctly and then show it off to my IT guy: "Look how cool this is!" I don't want an angry phone call: "What in the world are you doing?!"

bagabag
08-13-2005, 04:24 AM
I taught myself some more about Knoppix and answered some of my own questions. I was able to view the IP address assigned to my network card (eth0), and I can see that it was assigned by the DHCP server. So all is well regarding my original question #2.

I assume that Knoppix is NOT handing out IP addresses, and that was just a little paranoia. So you can (probably) disregard question #3.

So all I really need to know how to do is access the internet from Knoppix via the network's Masqdialer server. I can browse the machines and their shared folders through Samba Network Neighborhood, so my machine is successfully talking to other computers on the network.

Harry Kuhman
08-13-2005, 04:37 AM
I had never heard of masqdialer, but a quick Google search quickly found this page (http://w3.cpwright.com/mserver/index.html#dpkg). There certainly is a Debian package. It might work with Knoppix, but Knoppix being a live CD there could be some issues and if you are expecting to install something to hard disk I would suggest just installing Debian rather than Knoppix. AFAIK there is no support for masqdialer in Knoppix.

bagabag
08-13-2005, 08:36 AM
The Debian package instructions on the site linked by Harry mentions editing the sources.list file by adding a specific line command. I did that and saved my changes, but I'm not sure how that's supposed to do anything.

I also tried installing GMasqdialer and KMasqdialer. Neither of them installed properly.