PDA

View Full Version : No sound

bagabag
08-12-2005, 07:51 AM
I booted up in KNOPPIX from the CD-R and tried to listen to mp3 files that are on my hard drive. The audio player kicked off and LOOKED like it was playing the song, but I couldn't hear anything. I have a year-old Dell Inspiron 9100. All the hardware works in Windows.

ockham23
08-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Have you tried different settings in KMix? KMix either sits in the taskbar (loudspeaker symbol) or you can start it manually from the menu (Multimedia --> KMix).

bagabag
08-12-2005, 10:47 AM
The loudspeaker symbol in the taskbar has a red X over it. When I hang the mouse over it, the pop-up message reads, "Mixer cannot be found."

When I run Kmix, there is nothing in the drop-down box to the right of "Mixer:". It won't let me click on the arrow to the right of the drop-down box.

Courage
08-12-2005, 10:57 AM
The loudspeaker symbol in the taskbar has a red X over it. When I hang the mouse over it, the pop-up message reads, "Mixer cannot be found."

When I run Kmix, there is nothing in the drop-down box to the right of "Mixer:". It won't let me click on the arrow to the right of the drop-down box.

probably your sound device was not recognized, you should run recognition process in the system settings button.

bagabag
08-13-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm sorry, but I guess I need more basic instructions. I simply cannot find a button called "System Settings." Could you tell me how to get there?

I tried some other things:
I clicked on the Knoppix button--Configure--Soundcard Configuration. This ran a text-based program called sndconfg. The opening page read: "A probe will now be performed for any PNP cards that will be automatically configured." I hit Enter for OK. The next screen read, "You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled. (souncore.o was not found in the module search path) To use sndconfg, you must be running a kernel with modular sound, such as the kernel shipped with Debia GNU/Linux or a 2.2 kernel, and sound must be compiled as modules." I pressed OK and and that exited me from the sndconfg program.

I also went into the Control Center--Sound & Multimedia--Sound System. Under the General tab I checked the box "Enable Sound System" and click the button "Apply." This still did not resolve my problem. Under the Hardware Tab the "Select the audio device" box read Autodetect.

Under Info Center--Sound, the Sound Driver listed is 3.8.1a-980706(ALSA v1.0.8 emulation Mode)