PDA

View Full Version : How do I use KNOPPIX cloop from compact flash (PCMCIA)

Courage
08-12-2005, 10:54 AM
I read information about installing Knoppix with different methods, and was able to use Knoppix from HDD with its filesystem in CLOOP and all is okay, but now I want for cloop to be located in compact flash card.

To say, my compact flash is perfectly recognized as PCMCIA and working okay (with ide_cs and yenta_socket modules, presumaby). All devices recognized okay.

However my compact flash is recognized too late, so when CLOOP comes into play compact flash is not yet recognized.

I suspect a kernel should be rebuilt with yenta and ide_cs built-in and not as a *.ko-modules, but I'm not that far with playing with a knoppix.

It is okay for me to remount cloop on compact flash after already mounted cloop from HDD, but how?

Is there a way to resolve my problem?
Thanks in advance!

ockham23
08-12-2005, 11:15 AM
It is okay for me to remount cloop on compact flash after already mounted cloop from HDD, but how?

Just brainstorming: Maybe you can use the chroot and mount proc commands in the same way you would use them to do a Knoppix remaster when you copy the "Knoppix" folder to your hard disk and "chroot" into it to modify its contents: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto#Setting_up_for_Remasteri ng

However, I still think it would make more sense to run KNOPPIX off your hard disk with "tohd" and "fromhd" cheat codes.

Courage
08-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Just brainstorming: Maybe you can use the chroot and mount proc commands in the same way you would use them to do a Knoppix remaster when you copy the "Knoppix" folder to your hard disk and "chroot" into it to modify its contents: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto#Setting_up_for_Remasteri ng

Thanks, looks promising, I will take a look.

However, I still think it would make more sense to run KNOPPIX off your hard disk with "tohd" and "fromhd" cheat codes.
Well, it is mostly experimenting: I am curious to see how it will go withouth HDD (battery life, overall speed) ; but also I am planning to use my TC1000 tablet when continuously shaking, so it is preferrable to have HDD off.

ockham23
08-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Hm, I'am not sure whether your flash drive will work reliably over a period of time because it will accept only a limited number of write cycles. It is also possible that it will consume more energy than your hard drive; did you check its technical specifications? Does it get very hot over time?

Courage
08-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Hm, I'am not sure whether your flash drive will work reliably over a period of time because it will accept only a limited number of write cycles. It is also possible that it will consume more energy than your hard drive; did you check its technical specifications? Does it get very hot over time?

That's what I intended to check :)

Yes, your reasons have many sence, I'll check it for heating...

Howerer knoppix cloop is R/O, and, probably I'll restrict my usage of this kind to watching MPEG4, so there will be only limited write operations. (and usually will be booting normally with HDD)

Thank you for advices!