PDA

View Full Version : Not detecting my USB key

non-thrash
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a FUJIFILM 256 MB USB stick that Knoppix will not detect. It is formatted as FAT. FC3 see's it, as does XP pro. What must I do to get Knoppix to see it?

Teddybear
08-16-2005, 04:14 AM
im having the same problem.. my 128Mb jetflash doesent appear to have data on it.

"lsusb" sees it, as bus 001, device 003.

when i type "cat/proc/partitions", it gives:

major minor #blocks
180 0 128000 uba

but i look in the mnt/uba directory, and there are no files..

does anyone have any tips for a LINUX novice?

Ted

razta
08-17-2005, 02:38 PM
I have more or less the same prob.

I put the usb memory stick in the usb port, boot up using knoppix 3.8 and it mounts the USB memory stick but doesnt let me write to it. Ive tried formating it to both FAT and FAT32 and even tried a different usb port but still same problem.

any ideas?

razta
08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Also tried right clicking in the usb directory and selecting read/write instead of just read.

Still no luck! ;-(

Its a sony USB stick 128MB

Read a post with a guy with the same prob but he dident get a reply.

ockham23
08-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi razta,

you're right, the stick should work. I have a flash drive with 32 megs, which I use with Knoppix 3.8.1. Here's what I do:
1. Plug in the flash drive.
2. Power on the computer and boot from Knoppix cd.
3. Right click on the drive symbol "hard disk partition uba1" and select "mount".
4. Right click on the drive symbol again and select "actions --> change read/write mode".
5. Left click on the drive symbol to start Konqueror.

You should now be able to copy files to the drive.

To get more information on the flash drive, open root shell and type

fdisk -l
and

mount

If the drive is writeable, mount will return the parameter "rw" for uba1.

One final observation: Some thumb drives are protected against accidental overwriting. Maybe your drive has a small switch. Try setting it to another position.

razta
08-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Cheers mate! I'll give it a go when I get home! I'll post my result on here A.S.A.P

Thanks again, razta

razta
08-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Worked a treat mate!!!! Where I was going is that I was opening the usb drive then right clicking, instead of right clicking on the icon! :-)

Thank you very much for your help,

Razta