PDA

View Full Version : LS Segmentation Fault?!

Keilaron
08-13-2005, 12:05 AM
I use Knoppix to run a server (Yes, a server. Quit looking at me that way. o_o), and so far, my experience with it has been relatively good.
Recently, though, I've been starting to have problems with it: my /var directory has been doing strange funky things.
Like having one of the directories in it being completely unreadable.

First it was /var/mail/input, which caused ls to freeze (and the average load would skyrocket until I rebooted). And now, this:

# ls /var/spool/
Segmentation fault
# ls /var/spool/
<another freeze />

Can someone give me any indications as to why this might be happening?! It's rather unnerving.
Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I tried feeding it ^C. It's still waiting.

UnderScore
08-13-2005, 01:14 AM
What version of Knoppix are you running? Are you you running Knoppix from the CD? Or has Knoppix been installed to the hard drive?

Keilaron
08-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Knoppix 3.9, from "CD". It's reading the image from a drive partition. (fromhd=/dev/hda5)

HD manual/automatic mount points:
/dev/hda1 /root
/dev/hda5 /cdrom
/dev/hda6 /home
/dev/hdd1 swap
The swap drive has been tested for badblocks (but it's hardly used anyway).

UnderScore
08-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Never done a poor mans install or a tohd/fromhd myself. Maybe I am wrong, but I wonder if UnionFS might be causing a problem. Knoppix 3.9 shipped with a buggy unionfs and it is generally known that Knoppix 3.9 can be unstable in regards to filesystem operations.

Keilaron
08-13-2005, 05:07 AM
That may very well be it. I only started using 3.9 recently, so perhaps it's because of 3.9.
Is there any way to patch/fix it, or should I just back down to 3.8?