PDA

View Full Version : Start X11...

hbweb500
08-13-2005, 01:14 AM
I am booting Knoppx off of a Live CD on a Compaq Presario 2200 laptop. Everything is well until Knoppix tries to start "X11". The entire process just freezes. I can hit enter and get a prompt.

I have seen a thread naming this as a GUI intialization problem, but posed no solution. Is there a way to fix this?

UnderScore
08-13-2005, 01:21 AM
It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware & getting it wrong. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes), such as:
knoppix xmodule=vesa screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60

or

knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=85

I hope this helps.
James

Harry Kuhman
08-13-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't have an exact fix, but I suggest following the documentation link near the top of this page and reading the cheat codes section of the wiki. Try experimenting with different codes including noscsi and acpi=off. Likely one or (unfortunately) a combination of codes may be needed.

Also, you didn't say which version of the Knoppix CD you were trying tp boot. Knowing that may help others give advice on what codes to try, for example some systems needed nodma on versions 3.6 thru 3.7, but it became the default again on 3.8 so was no longer needed. The two codes I gave above used together let me boot my HP in versions 3.4 to 3.7 but were not needed with 3.8.

hbweb500
08-13-2005, 01:41 AM
I am attempting to boot 3.8.1. The copy matches the md5 checksum.

I tried the cheat codes you mentioned above to no avail. Im going to play around with some others.

The copy works fine on my desktop with a PCI video card.