PDA

View Full Version : Booting 4.0 without a DVD drive?

Keilaron
08-15-2005, 06:24 AM
I've got a little problem.
I've found out that the old DVD-ROM drive in my server doesn't actually want to read DVDs anymore... or at least, it doesn't want to read the Knoppix DVD I burnt. I'm not quite sure what's wrong with the DVD (since my burner can read it, but at least two other regular drives can't), but I'm thinking that the DVD-ROM would probably not read a proper DVD anyway.

So I've got a few questions, which hopefully haven't been asked already (I didn't see them in searches):
- Would it be possible to take the images out of the DVD ISO, and burn it as a CD, then boot off the harddrive? (Where I prefer to keep the images anyway, since I have the space.)
- Failing this, can a previous version (say, 3.8/3.9) boot a 4.0 image? I read/heard somewhere that this isn't possible, but I'm hoping some method is.

UnderScore
08-15-2005, 06:38 AM
Here is where you might want to start http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88856#88856

Keilaron
08-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks! That does help quite a bit.
Although in the previous post, when I was saying "images", I should be been saying "loopback files".

I need to write to the partition that current has the loopback file, though -- and it's read-only.
Is it safe to remount /cdrom, or should I init 2 first, or...?

/dev/hda5 on /cdrom type ext2 (ro)

Keilaron
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Nevermind, I solved it without having to remount.