PDA

View Full Version : Why I can not use command "ln" and "chown&quo

quit5
08-16-2005, 01:14 AM
I used an iso file on HDD to boot knoppix, the HDD is NTFS partitioned, I do my works on an FAT32 partitioned HDD connected to my laptop through USB.
Now the problems is I can not use command "ln" on this HDD, no matter whether I am the super user, the response is "operation not permitted".
But when I go to directory "usr", which is in ramdisk, I can use that command (The same problem happens with "chown"). Did anybody meet such problem and know the reason?
Thanks a lot.

Dave_Bechtel
08-16-2005, 02:26 AM
To my knowledge, you can only create symlinks on *nix-compatible (native) filesystems, such as ext2/ext3, reiserfs, xfs, etc. Fat32 and NTFS are not "native" *nix-compatible filesystems, and do not really support "ln" or "chown".

You may be able to create a symlink on /dev/shm (ramdisk) that points to a FAT32 or NTFS file (** See example below), but you will almost certainly not be able to chown files that live in MS filesystems. Filesystem permissions are usually set with the ' mount ' command for those; see ' man mount '.

' ln /mnt/drivec/command.com /dev/shm/command.com -sfn '
' ls -al /dev/shm ' == You should see a symlink there.

I used an iso file on HDD to boot knoppix, the HDD is NTFS partitioned, I do my works on an FAT32 partitioned HDD connected to my laptop through USB.
Now the problems is I can not use command "ln" on this HDD, no matter whether I am the super user, the response is "operation not permitted".
But when I go to directory "usr", which is in ramdisk, I can use that command (The same problem happens with "chown"). Did anybody meet such problem and know the reason?
Thanks a lot.