PDA

View Full Version : HD Install KNOPPIX 3.9, but PLEASE no boot loader

AgustinCordoba
08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi,
I am a very keen Knoppix supporter and user, often using this particular live-linux system to retrieve data from damaged os, or just as a general fallback, never missing the chance to recommend it.
Some time ago I successfully performed an HD install using 3.8 or 3.7, I can't remember which, and now I would like to install 3.9 on one of my hard-drives, but as I have an existing GRUB boot loader on a separate disk I would prefer not to write a new one. At one stage of the install, which I started with "knoppix-installer" the question I am asked is "Choose where the bootlaoder shall be installed - to Master Boot Record or to Root Partition", but there is no option for not writing any bootloader at all. Is there no way to skip this step?

TIA

Regards,

Agustin

tdjokic
08-16-2005, 05:14 PM
If you choose "...to Root Partition" no harm will be done. Knoppix will be unbootable until you do something later. If your existing bootloader is same as this in Knoppix, you can simply take thing from Knoppix bootloader and put them in existing bootloader. Example:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11-kanotix-11
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-kanotix-11 root=/dev/hda3 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce vga=0x317
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.11-kanotix-11
boot

title MEPIS at hda1, kernel 2.6.10
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hda1 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.splash

Here you can see 2 diferent distributions - one is original bootloader, and other is taken from partition and put here.

AgustinCordoba
08-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi again,

Thanks a lot for suggestions; in the end I decided to go ahead an put in the new bootloader, as the one I thought I had seems to have been trashed.

Setup went well, though on reboot I had some initial problems connecting to the internet. This was solved by going to the "proxy" section of Control Center and setting them to "Automatically detect proxy configuration" and also ticked "Use persistent connections to proxy" (not so sure if this last is a good idea.

Thank you again for your help.

Agustín

T_H_E_O_N_E
09-20-2005, 10:36 AM
I have a question about making Knoppix my primary and only OS.
I have never used and seen a Linux system before, and i cant uderstand the documents in the Documentation.
Iam not sure if they meen what i ask or only to make Knoppix on Hdd.

Isnt there an easier way to install knoppix from scratch like when you install windows?
I tried to install it using sudo knoppix-installer and i needed more space.
Are there a way to formating the hard-drive?
Can i delete my whole hdd or just window?

Anyway, i want to get rid of all evidence that i even used windows and make a linux system my primary OS.

Weevil
09-20-2005, 01:31 PM
I have a question about making Knoppix my primary and only OS.
I have never used and seen a Linux system before, and i cant uderstand the documents in the Documentation.
Iam not sure if they meen what i ask or only to make Knoppix on Hdd.

Isnt there an easier way to install knoppix from scratch like when you install windows?
I tried to install it using sudo knoppix-installer and i needed more space.
Are there a way to formating the hard-drive?
Can i delete my whole hdd or just window?

Anyway, i want to get rid of all evidence that i even used windows and make a linux system my primary OS.
Apparently installing Knoppix to hard disk is not recommended. I just tried the Kanotix (http://www.kanotix.com) install, and it seems to make Knoppix into a good standalone install. Otherwise, you should just go get a Debian CD and install it for real, or look at one of the other distros (like Red Hat) that has a user friendly install.

tdjokic
09-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Isnt there an easier way to install knoppix from scratch like when you install windows? Look this video http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1