PDA

View Full Version : horizontal lines?

Tony
12-27-2002, 11:13 PM
what do i edit to turn those fine horizontal lines off,
don't know whether they are part of the theme.
The nearest i had preivously seen to these, was the nautaulis backround which you could change. I thought it was just kde but its also in gnome. the lines look like they are flashing and are driving my eyes nuts. This could be a serious issue to people who suffer from epilepsy.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-28-2002, 05:26 AM
Are you sure you have your graphics card configured right? I don't see any lines....

Loper
12-28-2002, 05:45 AM
<snip>
what do i edit to turn those fine horizontal lines off...
</snip>

I think what you are describing is flicker due to a low refresh rate. The default resolution for the KDE desktop screen is 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz refresh, which has noticeable flicker; press the [F2] key at boot-up and either try to set the refresh to 75 Hz or, if that doesn't work, set the screen for 800 x 600 @ 75 or 85 Hz.

My frustration is that my second machine, with its lowly SiS 620 integrated graphics, can get 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz, no problem -- the same goes for my friend's GeForce 256 -- but my own GeForce MX will not go above 60Hz at that resolution. I may try to upgrade the card's firmware and I know there's an x-config script that will change that, but I'm still looking...

12-28-2002, 11:17 AM
found out what it was,
the color depth was set to 32bit true color by default, which causes the flicker even though the refresh rate was 85 hz. (i'll have to test it at 98 hz the hightest i can go) the depth is too much and color too sharp.
it only flickers on certain parts of the desktop where there are lines.
(i.e when you open konqueror and to the right of the earth where the word konqueror is its made up of fine horizontal lines behind the word).
It's only happened since kde3.
i remember in nautalis where if you chose the backround with the lines you could edit a config file and change the default values which spaced the lines furthere apart and the flickering stopped.
thats what i thought was.
its a little bit duller now but it works.
thanks for the replies
first time i looked at knoppix and its looking great so far.