PDA

View Full Version : Re-Mastering Knoppix v 3.9 Help

kooladi
08-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi,
I am a newbie at this..so trying my hand at remastering Knoppix 3.9.
My first question is I just read that odd numbered versions are for developers and are not stable. So, should I go for v 3.8 or is v 3.9 a good choice.

My second question is that I read articles relating to Re-mastering knoppix on this site, but they are for previous versions of knoppix. I couldnt get my system to boot from an emulated version of the CD on my hard disk. So, I tried the command, knoppix -installer and I configured my installation as the third option (Knoppix System like from CD). Is this the same as trying to emaulate a knoppix CD to hard drive.

I got my knoppix installed with the help knoppix - installer. I was just wondering, can I customize this knoppix, I mean remove softwares and add regional lang support ..and then burn it out as a live CD. Is this possible.

UnderScore
08-16-2005, 05:03 PM
odd numbered versions are for developers and are not stable.This is not true for Knoppix. Odd number releases are not just for developers or testing. There is no special relationship between odd or even number releases. Knoppix 3.8.2 is more stable than 3.9. If you intend to remaster, then you should choose 3.8.2.

Is this the same as trying to emaulate a knoppix CD to hard drive. Similar but not the same. The knoppix-installer makes some changes to the system so it behaves _like_ a CD but is not the same as a CD.

I got my knoppix installed with the help knoppix - installer. I was just wondering, can I customize this knoppix, I mean remove softwares and add regional lang support ..and then burn it out as a live CD. Is this possible.It is possible but can be very difficult. The remastering HOWTOs & guides do not require you to install Knoppix to the HD as if it were a normal distribution. They only require a total of 1.5GB of RAM (real RAM + swap space) and about 3GB of free space on a Linux partition. You should probably read through the HowTo that I wrote http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867 which covers the requirements for remastering.

kooladi
08-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks, I did read your HOW-To. Its very informative. I'll post here if i run into more problems

kooladi
08-17-2005, 12:39 AM
hi, first of all thanks for that awsum How-to.
There are couple of issues I am facing. I'll be glad if you could help.
First, When I enter my chroot environment, I cant see anything I type. I am typing blind. Is that supposed to happen???

Second, startx does not start KDE here. It just halts. I will mention here that I always use the knoppix xmodule=fbdev cheat code to get my knoppix started. I tried that option also, knoppix 2 vga=normal xmodule=fbdev. No luck. So, I am stuck.

Another thing, while I am able to connect and download the remastering scripts using wget, nothing seems to happen on apt-get update command. It just sits there.

When I try to remove packages using apt-get remove , the system displays a message, do you want to continue [Y/n]. I press 'Y" and again ...guess what..nothing happens. Is this suppose to happen, I mean does it take time to remove packages or am I not being patient enough.

Oh Yes, I also get a device busy message when I run the swapon command

If you think the above problems are newbie problems, just give me the links where I can study about it and fix it myself.
Appreciate your speedy responses and your help along with ur How-To,.
Thanks ...