PDA

View Full Version : Official 4.0 EN version available now

Harry Kuhman
08-16-2005, 08:38 PM
The Official 4.0 EN release has shown up on the official Knoppix BitTorrent Tracker (http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/).

Curiously, it's listed as 3.09 gig in size. That's a real break for those of us still using Win98 to burn DVDs, but it sure makes one wonder what differences there are between this and the Linux TAG release.

Downloaders are urged to use BitTorrent for this release, learn to use it if you have not already done so.

No sign of the 4.0 CD yet.

razar
08-16-2005, 08:57 PM
The Official 4.0 EN release has shown up on the official Knoppix BitTorrent Tracker (http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/).

Curiously, it's listed as 3.09 gig in size. That's a real break for those of us still using Win98 to burn DVDs, but it sure makes one wonder what differences there are between this and the Linux TAG release.

Downloaders are urged to use BitTorrent for this release, learn to use it if you have not already done so.

No sign of the 4.0 CD yet.

Thanks for the good news!

UnderScore
08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Changelog

* V4.0DVD-2005-08-16
- Project split into DVD and CD edition
- OpenOffice 2.0 build 104 (english/german)
- Lots and lots of package updates
- Bugfixes: floppyconf, knoppix-installer
- Kernel 2.6.12(.4) update
- KDE 3.4.1 from Debian/experimental
- correct agpgart module detection
- tulip PCI id fix in hwdata
- ralink and madwifi driver updates
- hostap added
- removed "slow USB block device" (ub) option (problems with usb-storage reported)
- chmod cdrecord/cdrdao to no longer run suid root because of changed kernel ioctls
- Added development packages: eclipse, mono
- Added most kde-i18n langiages from unstable
- Added knoppix books and Open Source Jahrbuch
- Added m23 software distribution system
- Added Knoppix menu item for setting root password
- Added AVM modules for DSL and ISDN cards
- Added ISDN/DSL configuration packages from Kanotix
- Added alternative desktops: gnome, ratpoison, xfce4, openbox
- Added (too many to list) packages from Debian/sarge (abiword, gnumeric...)
- Replaced mozilla-suite by mozilla-firefox and mozilla-thunderbird
- linux-ntfs (sourceforge) CVS snapshot

ckamin
08-17-2005, 01:26 AM
The 4.0 DVD is available at the following FTP link:

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/

I have not checked many of the other FTP mirrors, but it appears to be the first one up. Both EN and DE versions are there along with the usual associated files.

Bittorrent may be more reliable than this FTP link. I have not tested the downloaded file yet, but it appears OK.

The size is about 3/4 of the size of the LinuxTag version. I guess we will find out what the difference is when we get to give it a good once over.

I have not seen the 4.0 CD anywhere yet, but I would assume it will be along shortly. It appears that there have been some revisions to the DVD and I would anticipate the same manner of updates for the CD version as well.

etienne
08-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Here's an emule link for the english version

KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.iso (ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.iso|3324309504|C1E531140F1E21665ECB0D1D14A40915 |h=NMQVFUTZEMXJIP67V2YDG4NY4675PQHT|/)

UnderScore
08-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Screenshots of Aug 16 2005 Knoppix 4.0 DVD public release and of Knoppix 4.0 DVD LinuxTag release
http://virtualacuity.com/james/knoppix-other/knop40/

ckamin
08-17-2005, 09:14 AM
There are quite a few more FTP and HTTP sites that have the 4.0 DVD files available as of this Post. The following links have either the English version only, or both DE and EN versions available. I have not tried to download from any of them, but it appears that they are up and running. I did not list any of the few sites that have only the German version.

There apparently is no sign of the Version 4.0 CD yet.

Bittorrent is quick and easy and working well as expected. It is apparently seeded fairly well. The English version has transferred over a quarter Terabyte and still going strong. Be sure to seed as long and as fast as you can. Even if you downloaded by other methods such as FTP, you can still run your files through a download with Bittorrent, it will check/verify the files and then seed once it is done. It only takes a few minutes to set it up and the extra seeders would be appreciated. If you have never used Bittorrent before, now is a good time to try it.

Try it here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

The first FTP site that I found earlier:

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/

Additional FTP links are as follows:

ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/knoppix-dvd/

ftp://ftp.cs.uni-frankfurt.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/

ftp://ftp.tu-ilmenau.de/Mirrors/knoppix-dvd/

ftp://xenia.sote.hu/pub/mirrors/knoppix-dvd/

ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/

ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/knoppix-dvd/

ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/

ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/knoppix-dvd/

HTTP Links are as follows:

http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/knoppix-dvd/

http://lame.lut.fi/linux/knoppix-dvd/

Good luck!

quoosx
08-17-2005, 12:05 PM
The size is about 3/4 of the size of the LinuxTag version. I guess we will find out what the difference is when we get to give it a good once over.

You can easily see the differences comparing the packages lists:
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/packages-dvd.txt
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages-4.0dvd.txt

Comparing graphically, I think about 1/3 has changed -- many new versions, some new packages, few old ones missing.

gnu_joe
08-17-2005, 03:40 PM
When will the CD edition of 4.0 be available?

UnderScore
08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
When will the CD edition of 4.0 be available?Since 99.99% of us here are not Knoppix developers and are just community volunteers, we have no idea. We check the official site http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html and the download mirrors http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html and the bittorrent tracker http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ regularly to see if there is any updates.

Harry Kuhman
08-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Just a few observations:

The BitTorrent tracker shows over 1 TB of the EN version transfered in the first 24 hours by BitTorrent, with another 600 gig plus transfered for the DE version.

The DE version currently has more downloaders (1139) than the EN version (824).

Many BitTorrent downloaders are showing download speed that would exceed my 1.5 meg DSL connection (although I'm unfortunately not getting those speeds. Guess it all depends on who you connect to). And several seeders are showing as uploading at over a MB/Second.

364 copies of the EN version were complete by BitTorrent in the first 24 hours, with many more due to complete soon.

Not bad for a file over 3 gig in size.

boehmb
08-18-2005, 01:33 AM
I'm downloading now from one of the ftp mirrors. Started at 5pm. I now have 1.2GB to go. The mirror started out at 365K, but has fallen back to 157K now as more and more are downloading. This is on an 8Mb cable modem.

Harry Kuhman
08-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Started at 5pm. I now have 1.2GB to go....
Giving times without time zones is pretty meaningless, this site is very International. Still, you seem to be getting very good results. Although I usually advocate BitTorrent over the mirrors, you are getting much better results that I'm curently seeing most users including myself get with BT. Some BT users are getting download speeds that would more than flood my connection, but I'm sure not able to do that. Hopefully as more of us get the full package and become BT seeders that will change.

Do make sure that you check the md5 sum of that FTP download. Hopefully it will match and you will have come out ahead.

boehmb
08-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the info. The dload is done now (8pm Chicago time) and Nero is burning the image to a DVD. I will have fun (hopefully) just going thru all the menus and packages tonight!

NAvAP
08-18-2005, 06:15 AM
I havnt burned the dvd yet but I was browsing through the iso and i saw the regular KNOPPIX file which is now around 2 gigs..but whats the KNOPPIX2 file? its around 800mb so its too big for a cd.
Just curious...

ckamin
08-18-2005, 07:35 AM
I have noticed that there is a version 4.01 mentioned for official release at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html .
I have also noticed that there is a " KNOPPIX_V4.0.1DVD-knoppix-terminalserver.patch " file on one of the servers at ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/ . Since I am not extremely familiar with Knoppix and Linux in general, I was wondering if anyone could possibly give me a clue as to IF there is a difference between the two versions, 4.0 vs 4.01, and if that difference is the patch file. Also, if that IS the difference, how do I apply the "patch" if that is what must be done to update it? I have crawled around in the forums and did a few searches, but did not really find much on the subject.

EDIT: I found the answer to my question under the "Bugs" section of the site. :oops:
1.) Reported by: KK
The knoppix-terminalserver script does not setup the initrd correctly because ld-linux.so.2 is skipped when parsing the ldd output. Therefore, neither pump nor ifconfig can start when booting the terminalserver client.
Solution: Prior to starting the terminalserver, do a
wget -O - ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V4.0.1DVD-knoppix-terminalserver.patch | sudo patch -p0

The 4.0 DVD appears to work well enough "as is", but I have not tried much of what it contains, including Terminal Server, so I might not notice anything amiss. It's more a quest for information and my insane curiosity than for problem solving, since I am not having issues with it yet.

As for NAvAP's question about the "Knoppix2" file, I did notice a reference to it while booting. I would assume that if the "Knoppix" file is about 2 Gigs in size, that there is more "Knoppix" file content than the maximum 2 Gig file size can hold. DVDs are usually limited to a 2 Gig file size unless you are using the UDF disc format. So if that is the case, the Knoppix file was split into two files in order to properly write it to a Data DVD.

Thanks for the help!

NAvAP
08-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks that makes sense :lol:
Regarding 4.0 and 4.0.1 I believe that 4.0 is the original linuxtag release and 4.0.1 is the new public release.

ruymbeke
08-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Hello,
Please find below the link to the updated minirt_ntfs.gz
required to boot Knoppix 4.0.1 DVD Official Release
from the iso file on a NTFS partition:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&start=250
Please give me some feedback.
Cheers, Gilles

ckamin
08-18-2005, 08:13 AM
I just took a quick look at the progress of the Bit Torrent downloaders. I will have to strongly agree with Harry Kuhman that this is incredible progress. The download rates on the Bit Torrent appear to rival that of a decent FTP connection. Just a reminder to those that would like to seed the file EVEN IF you did not use Bit Torrent to download it. You can do this if you have a Bit Torrent program installed on your system. If you don't you should really try it out. The ratio of "Seeders" to "Leechers" is really decent and better than I had ever expected, but it could get better if more people donate the time to "Seed" the files. As a benefit, the Bit Torrent program can verify your downloaded file during the process AND can even correct the file if it contains errors. Bit Torrent is really a great way to download something as large as this DVD iso. It has less chance for errors than most other methods and can be paused and resumed like many FTP programs.

In order to seed the files, just open the Bit Torrent file from http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ and direct your Bit Torrent program to save the file to where your completed download is located. It will appear to download the file again, but it is actually checking the integrity and content of the file. Just be sure that your program is not set to overwrite the existing files, if that might be an option in the configuration menu. Once it has "completed", you can seed the file. It only takes a few minutes to do this and if you have a system up and running that is connected to the net, it would help all of the other downloaders obtain the file at a decent rate. I have two machines at different locations, that I have set to seed off and on during "MY" down time. You can set the "Upload Rate" higher after your download "Completes" if you wish to.

Harry Kuhman
08-18-2005, 08:33 AM
I just took a quick look at the progress of the Bit Torrent downloaders.
Yup, they sure are. The second terabyte of the EN version took less than 10 hours to transfer by BitTorrent. And there have been over 2 terabytes of transfers for the German version as well as almost 2.5 terabytes for the English version in the first day and a half of availability. The number of downloaders continues to grow but the number of seeders has grown too (271 for the EN version at the moment, with several of them having upload capability of over 1 mb/s). I'm seeing a lot of people get amazing download speeds, and even for others the speeds continue to pick up.

... Just a reminder to those that would like to seed the file EVEN IF you did not use Bit Torrent to download it. ....
Obviously, those offering the download will need all 8 files, if you just downloaded the ISO you will need the rest. But I believe that BitTorrent will figure out what you have and just get the tiny ammount that you need, as long as you put the ISO into the proper directory (I say I think because I have never done it that way.) The directory will have to be named exactly the same as the Torrent directory name; I would suggest getting the torrent, starting BT just for a minute to get the directory created and the blank templates created. Then shut down BitTorrent and replace the empty ISO with a copy of your full ISO (Be very sure that your md5 checksum is correct!). When you restart BitTorrent it should take a few minutes to check the ISO, download the tiny remaining files, and then (as long as your firewall amd router are set up properly) start seeding Knoppix to the rest of the community. A great use for that bandwidth that you are paying for anyway. I plan to leave the DVD seeding for the next several weeks (and the CD version as well when that comes out).

ckamin
08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry that I failed to mention the small additional files in the Torrent. I usually download them anyway, even by FTP when they are available. One more note about the target directory. If you are using most Windows versions of BitTorrent, you can select the "View/Settings/Saving" Menu and check the box that says something like "Ask where to save each download". You can edit the default download directory as well, if desired. When making any changes to the settings, it usually requires that you exit and restart the program before they will take effect. Once the program is set to ask where to download the files to, It is quite easy to point it to the directory where the files are currently located. Harry Kuhman is quite correct that the additional files will be downloaded if they are not already in the target directory, and it will take only a few seconds for that to complete in this case. It is the file verification that makes BitTorrent a great choice for accurate downloads. It sure makes a difference when you have previously encountered a "Bad" download of such a large file and then have to do it again. BitTorrent can actually repair the corrupted file as it goes through the process. It is a great time saver for fixing corrupted downloads.

atrick-pay
08-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Well I think I'm going to give up on downloading this for now.
I tried 2 times under Knoppix to download it to a FAT-32 drive both times
it downloaded as a 2Gb file, I just tried downloading it to a NTFS under WinXP and
got a negitive download speed. it got to the end and started going backwards! :roll:

UnderScore
08-19-2005, 12:05 AM
it downloaded as a 2Gb file, I just tried downloading it to a NTFS under WinXP and
got a negitive download speed. it got to the end and started going backwards! :roll:*EDIT* I'm wrong.
Just as you discovered, FAT32 has a 2GB file size limit. It will download on NTFS.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 12:11 AM
got a negitive download speed. it got to the end and started going backwards! :roll:

Sorry to hear of your bad results. What tool are you using? I'm using BitTorrent Version 4.0.3. I do beleive there are known issues with some previous versions not supporting files this large. The upgrade is fast and simple. I downloaded by BitTorrent to a FAT32 partition in Win98se and it worked fine. OK, I did take a power hit and 10 minute blackout at 44% complete and BitTorrent couldn't recover from there and continue, I had to start over again and my second download went a lot slower. But I have the ISO and the DVD is working great (I also have put a UPS on the old backup system that I dedicated to downloading and will be using for seeding for the next month or so).

I did see one slightly nasty problem after I had the ISO, Microsoft networking wouldn't let me move the 3 gig ISO from the download system to the system with the DVD burner. Apparently it thought the file was too big to comprehend. But I sliced it up into several chunks and move then across the network, put them back together, confirmed the md5 sum and have Knoppix up on my notebook at this very moment.

I have seen some slow speeds when you first start BitTorrent, but I find that if you just wait it out a little it picks up speed nicely. And the stats are sure looking good, over 1500 people have the English version by BitTorrent already, over 4 gig was transfered by BitTorrent in the first two days (8 gig if you include the German version). With 308 current seeders, including myself, (somewhat more than the 6 when I started downloading), things are looking pretty good.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Just as you discovered, FAT32 has a 2GB file size limit. It will download on NTFS.
Sorry, James, but you are wrong, I have the 3.09 gig iso on my FAT32 partition just fine. The FAT32 file size limit is 4 gig minus a byte or two. I suspect the problem atrick-pay has is an old version of BitTorrent or one of the knock off programs that isn't supporting files over 2 gig, but it's not a FAT32 problem.

UnderScore
08-19-2005, 12:20 AM
Sorry, James, but you are wrong, I have the 3.09 gig iso on my FAT32 partition just fine. The FAT32 file size limit is 4 gig minus a byte or two. I suspect the problem atrick-pay has is an old version of BitTorrent or one of the knock off programs that isn't supporting files over 2 gig, but it's not a FAT32 problem.

ZAP!
I'm wrong. :)
Got my filesystems all messed up.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Sadly, atrick-pay isn't the only one dragging his feet on upgrading BitTorrent versions. I see a lot of people on my peer list who are trying to download this with 3.4.2 and other versions that I believe will have problems at the 2 gig point. I don't know what we can do for them except try to get the word out here.

ckamin
08-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Hi Gents,

You are exactly correct about needing an updated version of BT. I have had great results using 4.0.3 of the Official Bit Torrent program. I tried the 4.1.12 Beta with good results previously, but I had issues with the later bata versions, especially 4.1.14. It had encountered stack errors and would not connect or continue on the two systems I tried it on. I tried all of the work-arounds they recommended including the registry edits and it still did not work. I went back to 4.0.3 and all is fine now. I have downloaded many large files without any errors whatsoever. Older versions don't seem to work well at all for a DVD size file. The 3.09 Gig iso file will fit well on a Fat32 partition under Win98 or ME. BT Version 4.0.3 is pretty stable and proven to work with various Windows versions, in my humble experience and opinion. I have also looked at the peer lists and am amazed to see such older versions still being used. I wish them all the best of luck. I have also had a few bad experiences with the "Alternative" Torrent programs. I am now back to square one using the original.

I downloaded the files in around three to four hours. It started very slow, but just like watching the pot and the water never boiling, I left it alone for an hour or so and it had over 20% downloaded and it was going at a pretty good pace. The FTP downloads take almost the same time.

I burned the downloaded files intact onto a UDF format DVD (UDF allows single files over 2 Gig) and transferred them to another system at a different location. I set up BitTorrent as I had previously discussed earlier in this thread, ran it through a check/download process for a few minutes and then it started to seed from that system also.

Be sure to throw Bram Cohen a bone for developing and distributing BT. He is not bashful about asking and it wouldn't hurt to send him something if you actually use the program. You can download the latest version at: http://www.bittorrent.com/ and I'm sure that there are multiple opportunities to donate while checking out the site and downloading the latest version.

atrick-pay
08-19-2005, 05:55 AM
I'm using FireFox, trying to DL off one of the FTPs! Not BT! :roll:
Anyway, Think I'll try again over the weekend or just wait for the CD version.

(I couldn't figure out how to start BT, I'll play with that over the weekend as well) :wink:

For those with it already is it really worth the trouble of DL and burning? :?:

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 06:34 AM
(I couldn't figure out how to start BT, I'll play with that over the weekend as well)
BitTorrent is very easy. Download 3.0.4 from the BitTorrent site. Rin it to install. You may want to find the exe when you installed it and start it manually once just to go into the preferences and set things like the directory BT will download too, but you do not need to do this.

The install should have created a relation between torrent files and BitTorrent, so the normal way to start it will just be to double click on a torrent file that you downloaded and it will start BitTorrent and pass the information about the download to it. If for some reason it doesn't start BitTorrent when you double click on a torrent file, you should be able to do an "open with ..." (shift right click the torrent file) and then tell it to open this type of files with BitTorrent and check the box to remember and use BitTorrent for these types of files in the future.

BitTorrent is the most widely used proocol on the Internet (in terms of % of traffic), you're going to learn to use it sooner or later, might as well be now.

whoeverheis
08-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Someone asked is it worth it. I downloaded 4.0 last night while in slumberland, burned to DVD and then popped it next to XP on my hard drive. My, oh my what a bunch of "stuff" to play with! I'll get it on my laptop today and check out wireless and it all should be a done deal. I did FTP on the download because in the past it seems to have taken days for the download and I am on cable. I have never done seed only but I'll see what I can do to get it going.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 06:32 PM
When will the CD edition of 4.0 be available?
From the official Knopper.net site: (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)
Because of many updates and technical improvements in the meantime since the 4.0 DVD, work on the Knoppix "light" CD release has been delayed somewhat. The CD version will be released in a few days from now, and will also be available for download at the usual locations on the KNOPPIX Mirrors soon.

Kowood
08-19-2005, 08:39 PM
is knoppix for 386? how would it perform on an amd64?

UnderScore
08-19-2005, 09:15 PM
is knoppix for 386? how would it perform on an amd64?Perfectly fine. It will run on an AMD64 architecture process in 32bit mode. I have used Knoppix 3.7 and 3.8.1 on a dual AMD Opteron 240 system and noticed no problems or differences.

jirah
08-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Well it took a cpl of days of on again/off again torrent downloading to get ver 4 verified and burned...I am leaving my torrent seeding every day for the next week @ 200kbs since I am working. Might as well put the bandwidth that I am paying for to work. First impression is 'wow is this freaking huge'. Its going to take a long while before I can sort through all of the software to see what I am going to use and what I am not. My only concern is...with a 4.0.2 bugfix release coming very shortly...did I just waste 3 days and a dvd to get a product that will be replaced and I will have to do it all over again?
And yes, I know..that is the way that it goes..I really don't mind playing with my new burner..or checkin out new Knoppix versions..just wondering that all...Just for the record..DVD burned and booted with 0 issues first time out..ALL hardware recognized just as in 3.9 and All applicable network and sound applications functioned w/no intervention on my part.
ALL in ALL a very well put together package this time around..more impressed with Ver 4 than I have been since 3.2

Jirah

ckamin
08-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Check here for the concern that prompted a 4.0.2. release. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0.1DVD

If it does not affect what you might do with the DVD, then you should not worry. Just wait for a newer release that offers something else that might be of interest. Knoppix is like a moving target. I have so many CDs that I have burned of earlier versions, just to put them aside for the latest. I have burned the LinuxTag Version to DVD and now the official release. A DVD is rather large to download, but it appears that many people are not having any issues downloading, including myself. I was in the BitTorrent at the very beginning and it only took several hours (about 4 1/2) to download it. It should be even better now since there are about as many or more seeders as there are leechers. I have the latest updated version of BitTorrent now (4.0.4) but I was successful using 4.0.3. If you are using something other than the official BitTorrent, not using an updated version, or not ensuring that the settings are correct, you may have issues duiring the download. Some firewalls and routers also need configuration in order to work properly with BitTorrent. FTP is a good alternative if BitTorrent is not working for you. It certainly should not take three days to get the files downloaded, unless you are on a slow dial-up connection. DVD Media is pretty inexpensive these days and to use a few discs while using "Free" software is not a big sacrifice for me, I just add them to the "Collection". I fully expected some bugs with the DVD release and will anticipate the same with the 4.0 CD. I doubt there will ever be a "Bug Free" release of Anything in my lifetime.

Harry Kuhman
08-21-2005, 02:55 AM
. I have so many CDs that I have burned of earlier versions, just to put them aside .....
I occasionally burn on write once media, it is nice to have a few old copies one can refer back to (there are still some games on the old 3.1 that didn't make it to the 4.0.1 DVD), but more often than not I use rewriteable media to burn my copy. That way I can download after I go to bed and then burn the next day onto something that will not go to waste as new releases start coming fast. I keep current and see no downside to this. You only need one or two pieces of rewriteable media to make this work, although you do need 700 meg CDRWs for the CD version. And, of course, the copies I give away are on write once media.

stars
08-21-2005, 10:46 AM
I wonder if patch will be available for new minor releases or bug fixes? ( I am not sure if this is possible)
So it would not take such a long time to download the updates.

jirah
08-21-2005, 02:52 PM
If you are using something other than the official BitTorrent, not using an updated version, or not ensuring that the settings are correct, you may have issues duiring the download. Some firewalls and routers also need configuration in order to work properly with BitTorrent. FTP is a good alternative if BitTorrent is not working for you. It certainly should not take three days to get the files downloaded

Oh I fully understand that my inexperience with bittorrent and azureus complicated things to the nth degree. But I am a RTFM kinda guy and after playing with the NAT and general connection settings of the issue, i managed to secure d'l speeds of well over 150kbs from my cable connection w/uploading at 25kbs during the download. The fact that it took a cpl days was simply because I am not the only one in my household using the connection, so I had to interrupt the connection many times to share the bandwidth. I am always using r/w media on just about every thing that I burn unless I just don't have any handy. My "collection" of older linux distro downloads/experiments/failures/just got bored w/it is and every growing suncatcher that hangs on our patio. The prismatic effects of the cd really are nice.

jirah

ckamin
08-23-2005, 07:37 AM
I've learned the hard way. I just make sure I get the updates, set it all up like they recommend, and then hope it works. I have had issues with BT alternatives and even some bootleg BT versions that dump some questionable stuff on a machine. I usually get to clean it out from someone's system after the bomb was dropped. I'm no expert when it comes to BT or similar software, but I do get the job done and without too many issues. The official BitTorrent has worked well for me, so I see no real reason to switch, unless one has a unique feature that I need to make use of. I just haven't found that feature yet. I've used a few others, but lately had better results with the BT original.

I don't have a lot of computer users under my roof at the moment. That suits me just fine, since I don't share my girlfriend, toothbrush, or internet connection well. I pay for it, It's mine, I'm selfish, and nobody seems to care. That's not to say I wouldn't let someone hook up if they had the need, it's just that I have my priorities. Knoppix first, then whatever else needs to come down the wire. I usually download a ton of stuff for friends that have slower connections. I just get to do my stuff first if I want it that way.

I don't really use RW discs much, unless I am having a problem that I need to work the bugs out of. RW discs also seem to have compatibility issues with some drives. I still use the DVD-RAM discs for video and archiving file backups. They have better data verification and you can edit a video disc on the fly. I also just don't have many coasters anymore. I have archives of older discs that I still find useful. Any bad discs are used for target practice, microwave testing/destruction, useless AOL inspired hanging mobiles, or frisbees. They don't make good windchimes since they don't make enough noise to annoy the neighbors. I originally burned two copies for my own use. One of the DVD-R flavor and one of the DVD+R kind. Some drives will work better with one or the other. I have burned about 30 of the DVDs so far and only have managed to keep the original two I burned for myself. They seem to get "Gifted" or "Lifted" when someone sees what it is. Some people return the favor with something that they have found useful or that they can't figure out, wanting to drive me nuts in the process of trying to figure it out.

samo21
08-24-2005, 04:11 AM
I've been reading the other posts on this thread a few times over and I haven't quite figured out what I'm looking for, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask.

I finally figured out the torrent thing, but to my dismay it had a bunch of extra files with it. I know this is spoken about in a few previous posts but It was never explained what to do with them. On all the previous versions of knoppix all I had to do was burn the ISO. So, what are those files for and are the nessecary? How should I go about burning them onto the disc since they aren't ISOs?

Harry Kuhman
08-24-2005, 04:25 AM
I finally figured out the torrent thing, but to my dismay it had a bunch of extra files with it. I know this is spoken about in a few previous posts but It was never explained what to do with them.
This is covered in the Downloading FAQ in the wiki, reached by the Documentation link near the top of this page. If anything isn't clear in the Downloading FAQ please let me know and I'll correct it.

Furious Stormrage
08-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Wow i feel stupid. I downloaded Version 3.9 today. Oh well i am willing to download it if Internet works.

Harry Kuhman
08-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Wow i feel stupid. I downloaded Version 3.9 today. Oh well i am willing to download it if Internet works.
What do you mean "If Internet works"???

iNo matter what you mean, I would not download the 4.0.1 DVD at this point. Klaus has already said he has serious bugs in it and is working hard to get out 4.0.2 real soon now. 3.9 also has serious bugs in the union file system, but that's where some of the 4.0 bugs are (although said to not be as serious as with 3.9).

My recommenations: If you have already burnt a working copy if 3.9, use it until 4.0.2 comes out (assuming that you have DVD burning capability at all). If you have not burnt it yt, use a 700 meg CDRW to burn it so you don't waste the disc. If you plan on burning a DVD get 4.0.2 when it comes out, otherwise a CD version should follow it shortly. In the meantime, read the wiki, particularly the Downloading FAQ, reached by the Documentation link near the top of this page.

As to If the Internet works. Yup, I just checked, the Internet is working. Also, Internet acces works fine for both 3.9 and 4.0.1 when booted from the CD. If you're already trying to "install" it to hard disk, after just downloading today and just making your first post, well hard disk installs have been failing for network access for almost 3 years (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25). Nothing new there, although there are new known problems with 3.9 failing to access the network after a "hard disk install". When people do this I just think of the words of the great philosophers Mt. T and Nelson.