PDA

View Full Version : Lucent Winmodem may work with KNOPPIX

funkea
04-22-2003, 01:30 AM
Please can someone test this, and fix any error you find - perhaps this can later be used at the hardware FAQ of knopper.net. Thanks!

I wanted to browse the internet while running KNOPPIX CD, and I was disappointed by not having a real modem. Since I have previously installed linux drivers for lucent-based winmodems (ltmodem) in HD-based linux installations (Mandrake, Conectiva), sometimes successfully, sometimes not, I developed a small guide to the subject:

INSTALLING LUCENT-BASED WINMODEM DRIVERS IN KNOPPIX

1. PREPARE YOUR BIOS
- Plug-and-Play OS = NO
- Turn on AC97 onboard modem controller (if availble)

2. Download ltmodem driver source to your windows partition or to a floppy disk

http://www.linmodems.org
(Lucent/AGERE resources, tar.gz file).

3. Boot knoppix

4. cd /tmp

5. tar -zxvf path-to-the-modem-driver-sources.tar.gz

6. cd newly_created_directory

7. ./build_module

8. Install will not work because depmod and install complain of read-only filesystem (they can't save modules to /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs). Instead do:

9. cd source
then save lt_modem.o and lt_serial.o to the floppy disk (or vfat partition).

10. Create the following script using a plain text editor (save it to the floppy disk too, with a suggestive name like "modem.sh"; if you save it to another directory, adjust the second line to reflect the right location). Don't forget to make the script executable. For example, if you save it as modem.sh, then run "chmod +x modem.sh", or right-click the file in Konqueror, choose Properties, Permissions, and add "Exec" permissions to the file:

#!/bin/bash
cd /mnt/floppy
mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem
insmod -f lt_modem.o
insmod -f lt_serial.o

11. Start kppp then -> Configure -> Talk to modem.

12. If the previous option works, just add a new dial-up account.

13. don't forget to save your config to another floppy, so you keep the account info for next boot...

14. Should the insmod program complain that gcc 2.95 should have been used instead, "cd" to the "source" directory and recompile the drivers, but after the "./configure" and before the "make" steps edit the Makefile and replace "gcc" with "gcc-2.95"

Andreas

bongski55
04-30-2003, 12:15 PM
I used your idea to install drivers for my pctel hsp 56k micromodem. It worked for me!
Please refer to my post under Hardware re: HSP micromodem.

Thanks!

bong

aay
04-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Cool. It would be nice to have a script on Knoppix to automate this. The problem is that if your modem doesn't work and it's the only way you can get internet access, how do you download the driver. Perhaps it could be used together with persistent home and a usb key drive.

lambriks
05-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Great! It does work indeed for the LT Winmodem!

I had quite some trouble using my modem with the CD version, but thanks to this contribution I managed to get things working.

Thanks,

Marc

tdjokic
07-07-2003, 02:01 AM
Thank you funkea very much! Without your explanation I did not know how to start. Than, I was lazy and lucky - I did ./build_module than ./instal2 and ./autoload and modem works! They saved modules to /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs. Modem is Lucent PCI winmodem.

grnat
07-30-2003, 04:11 AM
Thanks a lot, it worked for me, but I had to run "su" before I ran the script and before I ran KPPP, otherwise it gave "Permission denied" errors.

pwfrulez
08-12-2003, 08:17 PM
I ran the script and the line with mknod gives me an error Input/output error

arkaine23
08-20-2003, 01:02 AM
I used apt-get to put the lt-drivers on my remaster, but I have no way to test whether they work as is, or if I need to do some configuring for them to work.

L2Cache
09-09-2003, 06:07 AM
I put a shortcut in my autostart folder to run a script that activates my modem at startup. Then when I want to get on the internet, I click on a desktop KPPP icon that connects and launches Mozilla. Here's the script:

#!/bin/bash
# Save this file as modem.sh in /home/knoppix
# Set up a persistent home with Knoppix so files will stay put
# Make a shortcut called Modem on the desktop or in your autostart folder.
# In the shortcut under Execute put: sudo -s /modem.sh
# Check Run in terminal and it will do that as root
# Run this Modem shortcut to dial-up if your modem has not been activated.
# These lines, will be run as root, and activate the Lucent winmodem:
cd /home/knoppix/tmp
mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
ln -sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem
insmod -f lt_modem.o
insmod -f lt_serial.o
# This line changes the user to knoppix, starts KPPP, and connects to MyISP.
# Uncomment the line if you want to use it:
# su knoppix -c 'kppp -c MyISP'
# --------------------------
# Make a desktop shortcut called KPPP. In the shortcut
# Under Execute put: kppp -c MyISP
# Where "MyISP" is the name of your dial-up account
# Run this KPPP shortcut to dial-up if your modem has already been activated.
# Set KPPP to redial on disconnect if pppd always dies on the first try.
# In KPPP, under your account, execute, on connect, put: mozilla
# If you want Mozilla to launch automatically on connect.

I use a custom autostart folder so that Konqueror doesn't launch every time I start Knoppix:
Right click on the desktop, click configure desktop, then paths, to make the change. I use: /home/knoppix/autostart. Then move showindex.desktop out and put the modem shortcut in.

blakken
10-01-2003, 01:40 PM
i tried to use your script under knoppix 3.3 unfortunately it didn't work for my ac'97 modem
complaining that the kernel is not suiting to the modules .o ,has anybody got any idea ?
thank you!

bongski55
10-02-2003, 09:53 AM
i tried to use your script under knoppix 3.3 unfortunately it didn't work for my ac'97 modem
complaining that the kernel is not suiting to the modules .o ,has anybody got any idea ?
thank you!

Please post the exact error message.

L2Cache
01-18-2004, 09:36 PM
I use mine in 3.2 since in 3.3, X doesn't work properly with my laptop. So, I haven't tried it in 3.3.

pwnd
01-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Thanks alot, I finally got my modem working with knoppix, or alteast, I think I did. There's one problem. Knoppix can talk to my modem, and connect to the net, but once it does, it won't do anything. I try to start Gaim or Mozilla and it won't do anything. I know it's dial-up and it's not suppose to be fast, but I know it's not a speed factor, for instance, I try to go to www.google.com and it just sits there, same with Gaim, after about 15 minutes and still nothing. Any suggestions? Did I perhaps do something wrong?

gowator
02-04-2004, 04:45 PM
You probably need a default route and dns resolution.

ifconfig (when its up)
this should give you a device ppp0
you need to make ppp0 the default route

route add default gw [ip add of ppp0]
then you need dns resolution....
find the ip of the dns server(s) of your isp and add this to your /etc/resolv.conf

urpk
02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Thank you funkea very much! Without your explanation I did not know how to start. Than, I was lazy and lucky - I did ./build_module than ./instal2 and ./autoload and modem works! They saved modules to /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs. Modem is Lucent PCI winmodem.

Hi, I have the same problem installing my lucent modem from live CD. I am quiet a new to knoppix as i have never installed modem on it.
Please help me and explain your steps how did u install your lucent PCI winmodem. I hope it would help me a lot.

Please explain what are the steps for ./build , ./instal2 and ./autoload. Or please tell me any link where those instructions are written in simple form. If you installed your modem with the help of steps mailed by funkea then please tell me how did you do step 10 and what is meant by lt_modem.o and lt_serial.o and from where i can get these files

Please reply as i need your help. Thanks.