PDA

View Full Version : Installing v3.9 help....

admart35
08-17-2005, 09:44 PM
When I install Knoppix v3.9 onto my harddrive this appears in the terminal

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer
/usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons: line 42: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons: line 100: cannot create temp file for here document: Permission denied
Can't open /mnt/hdinstall/home/adm/.mozilla/default/*/prefs.js: No such file or directory.
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1194: No soundcards found...
In file "/usr/lib/menu/knoppix-gen-kwifi", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 1:
[...]iFiManager" command="sudo kwifimanager -caption "%c" %i %m " icon=kwifimanager kderemove="y"
[...] ^
Expected: "="
Skipping file because of errors...
knoppix@0[knoppix]$

is this a bad thing?

also when I boot up into knoppix from the hard drive... instead of the colorful Knoppix text theres this 'Kanotix (HD-Installation)'

when I try to login as root theres a pop up that says "Root Logins are not allowed".
but it lets me use 'su' in the terminal

Thanks for any help.... :)

chris-harry
08-18-2005, 04:16 AM
did you try

sudo knoppix-installer

because by the permission it seems your not the root...

UnderScore
08-18-2005, 04:45 AM
The installer runs but error mesages appear in the terminal?
It is OK. I've seen it before.

admart35
08-18-2005, 05:16 AM
The installer runs but error mesages appear in the terminal?
It is OK. I've seen it before.

yeah the installation worked... kinda... but with the knoppix versions I'v had installed before I could actually login as root from the login screen.....

so is it a bad thing that error messages appeared?

UnderScore
08-18-2005, 05:53 AM
so is it a bad thing that error messages appeared?No. As far as I can tell, it is just diagnostic messages & is normal.

Now that you have installed 3.9, and unless you alrewady have done so, you will need to fix the networking. There is a bug documented as #15 http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27 and can be resolved by entering the command as root user:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean

As for root, yes it has been disabled as a security feature. In almost all cases it is not necessary to run an entire KDE GUI desktop as the root user. Instead you can use su and kdesu to run commands or programs with the autority of root user in your existing KDE session.

From a non-root user account, edit a text file with KDE's Kate as root:
kdesu kate /path/to/file.txt

From a non-root user account, run KDE's Control Center as root:
kdesu kcontrol

To move/delete/copy files as root:
kdesu konqueror /path/to/folder/

It will popup a dialog and like su or sudo, it will ask for the root user password. Once you give it the root password, the command you gave it will run as root and will have full authority as root.

admart35
08-18-2005, 07:37 AM
ok... thx for clearing that up for me... :D

now... when I tried your command

ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean

this is what I got.....

adm@SYSTM:~$ ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
ln: creating symbolic link `/etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean' to `/etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean': Permission denied
adm@SYSTM:~$

EDIT: ok nvm that last part.... I think I got it... haha..... thx again