PDA

View Full Version : Recommend PCI Modem

PlantPerson
08-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Could someone recommend a low-priced PCI dialup modem which works under knoppix?

rusty
08-18-2005, 01:10 AM
For the most part cheap pci modems are software modems (winmodems) and are difficult to get to work under knoppix. It is probably better to shell out the extra bucks for a controller based modem, either pci or better yet external (serial).

If you want a couple of good resources look at these:

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

http://linmodems.org

Controller based external modems will set you back some:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=controller%20based%20pci%20modem&hl=en

Good luck

tdjokic
08-18-2005, 01:34 AM
http://www.mepislovers.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5354&forum=14&post_id=38986#forumpost38986
- this is no-name Lucent / Agere which has integrated drivers in Mepis and works out of the box, in Live mode and in hdd installed, NO DRIVERS, NO NOTHING, ONLY your user name, password and tel.number of ISP and in Kanotix too, but you must do simple command, nothing serios. Smart Link modems has support too, I am sure for Kanotix, but not 100% for Mepis. Kanotix is recomended for Knoppix user, but for hdd installation, so it is almoust the same thing.

Lucent + Mepis is my personal experience, I was spechless when it starts dialing in Live mode!!!

Look what you need to do in Kanotix for Smart Link modem:

su
/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart
and than /dev/modem

very simple ...

Harry Kuhman
08-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Could someone recommend a low-priced PCI dialup modem which works under knoppix?
Such devices are getting harder and harder to find. Actiontec used to majke some very good internal PCI modems that were true modems (not Winmodems), but I just checked their site to see if any were currently available and it looks like they may be out of the dial-up modem business entirely. I suspect that many others are too, with almost any internal card you find now being an inexpensive Winmodem without Linux suport. I expect finding anything new is going to be difficult and expensive.

Likely a lot of old dirt cheap used computers out there will have a viable modem in them, but finding one may be a problem, at least in kowing if that $5 box has a winmodem or a real modem in it before you buy it. The price will go up sharply if you go to a used computer store or the electronic bay of thieves and buy just the modem, and then you are still taking chances on the quality.

External modems may be your best choice, but will also be expensive. You might want to ask yourself how much you are willing to pay to stay in the 20th century. At least in my area, the lowest speed form of DSL has now come down in price to very close to what I used to pay for dial-up service, and although it's sold as DSL lite, it's much much faster that dial-up ever was. Before I shelled out a lot for an old technology modem that had limited usefulness, I would certainly consider moving to newer technology. Of course, I understand that there may be some unique applications where dial-up is still viable, but there are reasons why it's getting harder and harder to find and the prices are climbing back up.

I would suggest that you at least shop around for high speed service and see what is available from DSL or cable, and look into getting a high speed modem with an ethernet connection (do not accept a USB based device). And if the high speed modem doesn't include a built-in router, buy an inexpensive one of those too (don't go high speed without one), often $10 or less after rebate.

PlantPerson
08-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

John_C
08-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Before I shelled out a lot for an old technology modem that had limited usefulness, I would certainly consider moving to newer technology

I liked the response from "tdjokic" much better than a reply that everybody just ought to get hi-speed
internet service. Guess what? -- It isn't even available in some areas (like mine). Everybody doesn't
live in the city -- heck I like some space around me :-)

My experience with SmartLink has been very positive. I have 2 serial external modems, but was very
tired of switching cables everytime I switched computers. External modems are expensive too. My $10
SmartLink internal modems work every bit as good. They are "LinModems" too....

Thanks tdjokic for the easy way to use SmartLink in Kanotix. My wife uses Linspire and SmartLink is just
there "live" or installed. Haven't tried a Lucent / Agere internal modem yet, but I will.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Before I shelled out a lot for an old technology modem that had limited usefulness, I would certainly consider moving to newer technology

I liked the response from "tdjokic" much better than a reply that everybody just ought to get hi-speed
internet service. Guess what? -- It isn't even available in some areas (like mine). Everybody doesn't
live in the city -- heck I like some space around me
Since you quoted me (without the name) I would just like to say that I didn't reply "that everybody just ought to get high speed Internet". I even looked to see where the original post came from and weighed my response carefully. If you want to assume the response I gave to someone else applies to you also, or everybody, that's not correct. And I did even try to find a dial-up non-win modem from a maker I used to find reasonably priced and pretty reliable. But I couldn't and offered what I had learned. That in no way prevented any others from finding what I could not and posting it. But I'll still stick by my advice of simply looking at all of ones options before too quickly shelling a lot of money for last century's technology when it might not be the best choice available.

Kowood
08-19-2005, 08:26 PM
I got this one from newegg....Hummingbird something...It'll list it as Linux supported...smartlink chipset....get something smartlink based...those are the best for various unices.

PlantPerson
08-19-2005, 11:10 PM
What do you think of this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825116105

tdjokic
08-20-2005, 01:09 PM
What do you think of this one?
Please, look at this site:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_white_paper09186a00800d7d91.shtml

In general, there are 3 types of PCI modems:

- software, only line interface unit (LIU), only "1" chip
- controllerless, LIU + DSP (digital signal processor), "2" chips
- hardware, LIU + DSP + control processor, "3" chips (usually there are a bit more chips, but here are mentioned main chips)

As Harry said, hardware modems are getting harder and harder to find and they are very expensive too. Some software modems don't work in Linux. At the and, controllerless are the best we have.

Sad thing is, that many manufacturers today call controllerless modems "hadrware" without any shame or explanation.

Your modem seems to me as it is a software modem - very few chips. I don't have personal experience with SmartLink chipset modems, so I can't say anything for sure. Maybe John_C can help us? Are there any controllerless SmartLink modems?[/quote]

John_C
08-20-2005, 05:02 PM
It would be nice to have a collection of cheap "software" modems on hand to
test which ones work in different flavours of Linux or not. Of course that could
get a tad expensive and I would be doing a lot of "switching" inside my computers.

So I took the easy route. I have external serial modems for when I can't get an
internal one to work. I can tell you this: SmartLink modems do work fine with most
Linux Distros. I have a cheapo SmartLink PCI card ($10-$15) and it is supported
right out of the box in Linux. Some distros boot right up with no configuration at all;
some require doing a little extra work (like Kanotix - sl-modem-daemon) and I guess
you could always download the SmartLink Linux Driver from SL's web site. The modem
says it is for Linux right on the box. To my surprise, even a SmartLink modem on a "riser
slot" in an ECS motherboard works just fine. I guess the same could be said for a
SmartLink USB modem in some Distros.

It amazes me that more Linux Distros have not paid more attention to internal modems.
This can be one of the first, and most frustrating things, about trying Linux. Give credit to
Linspire ($$$) that they fully support SmartLink and they just work on start-up. Maybe
somebody should think of packaging a $10 modem with their Linux.... anybody still using
a modem would know it is going to work.

And let's consider the figures too. A lot of people don't have resonable access to hi-speed
internet service. Here In Canada (well-wired) about 50% of the 60% who have computers
in their homes have some kind of hi-speed service. That leaves a lot of people requiring a
modem to connect to the internet. Heck I live on a small Island between the BC mainland
and Vancouver Island -- for the small population and the expense involved, I am not going
to see hi-speed for a very long time. Looking to the sky is just too expensive.
Modems are the only way!

The cost of external modems here is crazy. I guess the real problem is that most commercial
computers come with a built-in modem (software) that is probably one that doesn't work in Linux.
With the exploding popularity of Linux, the manufacturer of modems that goes after this market
in a big way, is going to do well. The Linux world should be doing more to sort out the mess with
modems too.

I have to offer an apology to Harry for a "low burn" response about modems verus hi-speed technology.
How can I out this: If you paid a lot of money for Xandros that is only shipped from New York City, but
developed in a small town near Ottawa (Canada), and they released a 400 MB update that was only
offered by download (only have modem).... and there was a good chance it would hose your setup....etc.
There's more to the story, but I'm sure you can feel my temperature rising :-)

tdjokic
08-20-2005, 05:55 PM
John_C: I have a cheapo SmartLink PCI card ($10-$15)... Does it looks like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825116105 ? If they are same, than answer to PlantPerson can be "It will work."

I am not sure about it, because on manufacturer's site, http://www.diamondmm.com/SM56PCILE.php there is this text: "Software-based PCI 56K modem for outstanding value" . It costs 15$

Other model, SM56PCI is "Controller-less PCI 56K modem for faster performance at a great price" and costs much more http://www.diamondmm.com/SM56PCI.php.

To my surprise, even a SmartLink modem on a "riser slot" Considering all facts, we can expect modem from www.newegg.com site to work. "Riser slot" modem is definitly software winmodem.

John_C
08-20-2005, 07:27 PM
The first link above states in the Specifications it has a "SmartLink" Chip.
So it should work. The Second Link doesn't specify a Chip -- so who knows??

This is the point with SmartLink modems; they have a SmartLink Chip and that
is what's supported in Linux. SmartLink does sell their own branded modems.
I got mine at an OEM outlet I order from. Other modems use SmartLink Chips,
but there is probably no way of knowing if they will REALLY work, depending if
the modem manufacturer played with the setup. Check Specs first though; then
you might want to email the manufacturer -- why do we have to through this BS!

You would think with the ever increasing Linux market that the retail outlets would
get a little smarter too :( I can't even find a SmartLink USB modem in Canada.

PlantPerson
08-23-2005, 02:15 PM
John_C: I have a cheapo SmartLink PCI card ($10-$15)... Does it looks like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825116105 ? If they are same, than answer to PlantPerson can be "It will work."

I am not sure about it, because on manufacturer's site, http://www.diamondmm.com/SM56PCILE.php there is this text: "Software-based PCI 56K modem for outstanding value" . It costs 15$

Other model, SM56PCI is "Controller-less PCI 56K modem for faster performance at a great price" and costs much more http://www.diamondmm.com/SM56PCI.php.

To my surprise, even a SmartLink modem on a "riser slot" Considering all facts, we can expect modem from www.newegg.com site to work. "Riser slot" modem is definitly software winmodem.
I'm a little confused. So what you're saying is, you think this modem will run under Knoppix?

tdjokic
08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm a little confused. So what you're saying is, you think this modem will run under Knoppix? Not "out the box". You will need driver and additional work to install it. As I said before, I don't have personal experience with this modem.