PDA

View Full Version : Loading X

Darkever
04-22-2003, 02:07 AM
I've been trying over and over again to get X working on my live run of Knoppix. Knoppix definitly recognizes my GeForce 3, and boots Knoppix but when it gets to starting X, the screen flickers, then goes to XFree86(vesa) flickers, then to XFree86(fdbd - or something) and comes back saying it can't load it. I've got a trinitron monitor, I don't know if that's it, but even though I get a bunch of cloop errors on loading, I did the testcd and it resulted in OK. Any suggestions?

rickenbacherus
04-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Did you try booting

knoppix xmodule=nv?

Darkever
04-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Yes I have, but thanks anyways

rickenbacherus
04-22-2003, 03:03 PM
OK well how about some details? What other codes have you tried?

Darkever
04-22-2003, 11:27 PM
xvrefresh=60
xmodule=nv
fb1024x768 <-- didn't even accept the command
testcd <-- which gave OK even though I get tons of cloop erros

These are the codes that I've been using, any suggestions on any other codes to use during boot or something I should try to configure in the Kernel?

rickenbacherus
04-23-2003, 02:23 AM
You can string multiple codes together like so....

boot: knoppix lang=us xmodule=nv wheelmouse noapic noapm

Don't use 'xvrefresh=60' unless that is correct for your monitor. You can find the 'refresh rate' for your monitor online or in the documentation that came with it. Likewise, don't use the 'wheelmouse' code unless you have one.

The simplest way to boot is like this:

boot: failsafe

As it says in the documentation this does minimal hardware detection.

Darkever
04-23-2003, 04:24 AM
I know how to input more than one command into the boot, but here are some errors that I've got that I've written down.

First on boot up I get cloop errors that end saying

creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk

though testcd says everything is fine

second when trying to boot X with the xmodule=nv, I get this:

EE: .......... nv_drv.o is unrecognisable module type
fatal error
no screens found.

Just as a reminder I'm using a GeForce 3 64 MGs (i might of said 32 by accident). and a Dell P991 Trinitron Monitor, both are recognized by knoppix. Any suggestions, ideas, or solutions (solutions are definitly welcome, but of course so are suggestions and ideas!)

Thanks Alot!

daisi
08-07-2004, 12:49 AM
Unfortunatelly I can't help You, because I have this same problem. :cry: Please, let somebody help us.

shah
08-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Try with lowest resolution and up.
Start with screen=640x480.......screen=1280x1024