PDA

View Full Version : new here - lots of questions

ravenspirit2k4
08-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Ok, I've been using Knoppix for almost 2 years and I'm a fan of it. I'd love to install it to my HD, especially since the new DVD has come out, but I understand that this causes problems (someone said it was because of short cuts taken to make it run from the cd). So I have the following questions:

1. An individual I met on IRC said that there was a downloadable file that puts the "missing" files back into a Knoppix hd install, but he'd forgotten where to download it from. A google search just turned up tutorials for installing it, plus all the warnings about possible problems. Does anyone here know of such a file somewhere? I'm guessing he was wrong, but I'd like to know for sure.

2. Is there a tutorial soemwhere about installing Debian and making it into Knoppix's image, so to speak, on your software choices? (I've heard Debian's installer has improved - the last two times I tried it was a disaster, but that was over a year ago.)

3. If no to both of the above, does anyone recommend any particular distro that's best for soemone who really likes Knoppix?

Thanks in advance.

-raven

UnderScore
08-19-2005, 12:17 AM
I have to type this quick. Someone else should be able to give you their opinion too.

1) I tend to not trust a person I met on IRC unless I know their history (smart? not smart? serious? prankster?). There is no downloadable file that puts the "missing" files back into a Knoppix hd install. There _are_ methods of fixing a HD install but there are not auto-script or downloadble file. If you intend to do a HD install, please excuse some scary language or some negative tone, but please read this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87187#87187. If still want to do a HD install, please note that Knoppix 4.01 DVD 8-16-2005 has not been installed by the forum's "experts" and I do not know if it does or does not break anything.

2) Not that I know of.

3) LiveCDs: Slax 5.0.6, SimplyMepis, Kanotix
HD install Distros: For non-technical user: Linspire, Xandros
For regular user: Suse 9.3 Pro, Mandriva, Fedora, Debian
For technical user who wants to see all the tech stuff: Slackware, Gentoo,

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 12:26 AM
2. Is there a tutorial soemwhere about installing Debian and making it into Knoppix's image, so to speak, on your software choices? (I've heard Debian's installer has improved - the last two times I tried it was a disaster, but that was over a year ago.)
There are Debian package lists (http://packages.debian.org/stable/) found on the Debian site for each distro. You should be able to look over the package lists and apt-get whatever you want. I doubt if there is much you will find on the Knoppix disc that is not there. And, of course, you can skip getting all of the applications that you have no interest in.

Yes, the installer has gotten a lot better. Not perfect yet, but then neither is Knoppix. It's worth your time to at least give it a look.