PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a free copy of the Knoppix DVD?

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 02:22 AM
EDIT: This was first posted on August 18th. At first there was no response at all, but I slowly started receiving a number of requests. I now have all the requests I can fufill, but somehow suddenly more people are finding this and sending me PM's then when it was first posted. I'm sorry, but I'm no longer taking additional requests for the DVD. HK 9/1/05

Here's the deal: I only plan on sending these to people in the U.S. (sorry, but U.S. postage will be bad enough, I don't want to pay international postage on this). Sorry if that excludes you, but maybe there are some nice people who live where you do who want to help too and will post here. Please don't accept this offer if you have a high speed connection and a DVD burner, let me get a few DVDs in the hands of people who can't make them themselves. Please don't accept this offer if you don't have a DVD reader that can read DVD-R media, even if you plan on getting one "someday"; by then newer versions of Knoppix will be out with the current bugs replaced by new bugs, the DVD drive you likely will get will also be a burner and you will likely be able to download the new DVD in less time that it will take me to burn a copy. Please don't ask for a free DVD if you just intend on turning around and trying to resell it on the electronic bay of thieves.

I'm not asking for any money. Do send me something back though when you get the DVD, even a postcard, photo, or some small (non-food) item. If you want a copy, send me by this site's private message feature (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/privmsg.php?folder=inbox) your name, your postal address, and what computer and DVD drive you will run it on (do not post personal information in the forums). Burning these will take time (I burn at the slowest speed available on my DVD burner for best quality and compatibility) and I don't want this to cost me a lot in postage and media, so please understand if I get more requests than I can fulfill and send you back a private message apology.

Of course, all the normal disclaimers apply. The ISO I have has matched the distributed md5 checksum, it's not my fault or problem if there are bugs in the software or if your computer has compatibility issues. If the post office smashes the DVD in the mail and you cut yourself on the pieces I don't want to hear about it, nor does my lawyer. Sending you a free DVD in no way obligates me to support you or become your best friend. Not to be taken internally. First come first served. Offer limited to the number I feel like burning. Decision of the judges is final.

I advise against "installing" Knoppix to hard disk. If you feel otherwise, that's OK, the DVD is still available to you. I ask two things: Before you "install" Knoppix, at least try to install Debian, so that you are making a real informed decision of Knoppix over Debian. And after you "install" the DVD, pass the disc along to someone else who can use it (there likely will be newer versions before you need to install again, and you apparently think Knoppix installations are stable).

eco2geek
08-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Not to steal Harry's thunder, but I've still got 6 copies of Kanotix 2005-3 (32-bit) to give away if anyone in the US wants one.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 05:20 AM
Not to steal Harry's thunder, but I've still got 6 copies of Kanotix 2005-3 (32-bit) to give away if anyone in the US wants one.
No thunder stealing at all, your offer inspired me.

Kowood
08-19-2005, 08:37 PM
why how nice of you HK. :)

davd_bob
08-25-2005, 10:28 AM
OH NO.
I just setteled for buying a Live CD off eBay. Thats how I got turned onto this website.

Oh well. If anything goes wrong with that I will be in touch.
In fact I will proly be here asking questions anyway as a Linux n00b.