PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice upgrade not working

babelbrennt
08-19-2005, 03:21 AM
I installed office using apt-get install.I guess I should have used something like apt-get upgrade/update but i had read that people sometimes have problems with update and in any case install seemed to recognise that it was an upgrade I needed. The openoffice link on my Menu didn't work so i deleted it especially as the programs were in the office menu along with KOffice ( which i had installed as well) and i swapped the old office icon on my taskbar with the new one. I can use write and save sxw and .doc files, and can open them if I open them in Openoffice, but if I try to open them by clicking on the document icon the MS office.doc files open in Kwrite and the sxw files don't open at all except for a message that says KDEInit could not launch '/opt/openoffice/program/swriter'. Where has it all gone wrong!!

babelbrennt
08-24-2005, 12:26 AM
after trawling through the web apparently I would need to find and remove the old symlink and then create a new one. Personally I haven't a clue. If someone knows please do tell. For the time being i have done a mkdir and created /opt/openoffice/program/swriter and then done cp /usr/bin/openoffice /opt/openoffice/program/swriter. This works for the time being. it seems kdeinit problems like this can happen with upgrades.