PDA

View Full Version : disk space after upgrade

babelbrennt
08-19-2005, 04:34 AM
How do i find how much used disk space is on my harddrive. Is there a command for this.I used apt-get remove to get rid of files and thought I had deleted about 370MB of files and i am sure that i haven't installed anywhere near that but right clicking on my hda5 suggests that i have used nearly 5GB of space and looking in my system there are still folders with some of tjheb supposedly removed files still there. When i do dpkg -W or dpkg -l the files that i thought i had deleted are still there, but when I do apt-get remove again it says the files don't exist. I used apt-get -remove , deborphan and apt-get clean to remove the packages.

Kowood
08-19-2005, 08:12 PM
du is disk usage (i.e) filesize...so du / would display how much space everything is using, or du <file> would display a filesize, but for disks, you want df (diskspace free) df will display all your filesystems, how much is used, and how much is free. df with no arguments will tell you how much free space and used space there is on the drive which knoppix is installed, or for a different drive, df /dev/hdX

Kowood
08-19-2005, 08:13 PM
oh...also apt-get autoclean will remove all the uninstalled packages sitting around your system

babelbrennt
08-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did df and I got the following output.which makes me think I have done something wrong as I assummed that Knoppix had 2.5GB of software and even though I am sure i tookoff well over 400Mb Iad haven'tinstalled anything like that much I seem to have ended up with a drive that is 2.7 and also I don't know what /dev/root.old is and how to get rid of it.

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda5 25197220 2723528 21193716 12% /
/dev/root.old 16155 7864 8291 49% /initrd

Kowood
08-19-2005, 09:16 PM
depends....a gigabyte is 1024 megabytes, an mb is 1024 kb, a kb is 1024 b, and a byte is a 1024 bits....most people think it's 1000, because they think in base 10, not binary....an advertised 20gb hd is more like 18.8....knowing knoppix, they're probably correct about 2.5 gb, but smeone else may have seen that as 2.7 due to thinking in base 10 and not binary....it expands a little when you install too...but i wouldn't worry...you've got 17gb left on your partition

UnderScore
08-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I would not worry about root.old. The '/initrd' is the initial ram disk which is used by the bootloader in compliment with the kernel. This ram disk is mounted as the root filesystem and autodetect scripts, drivers, & programs are run from it. Then the system mounts a new root filesystem from the HD. The initrd is label root.old. It can usually be unmounted but again, I would not worry about it.

babelbrennt
08-19-2005, 09:45 PM
That's a relief. Thank you both. I thought I would have too much for a remaster