PDA

View Full Version : Created CD image, now what?

tmedina
08-19-2005, 04:37 PM
I've created the CD image -- it shows two folders: BOOT and KNOPPIX -- I'm using an old system so I've had to use a boot disk -- the system starts and I get an A: but nothing after that -- I'm able to get to the drive with those files on it, but think I must have done something wrong.

Sorry for being such an idiot.

Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 05:46 PM
the system starts and I get an A: but nothing after that --.....
Classic sign of someone who decided he knew what he was doing and didn't have to follow the instructions in the downloading faq (reached by following the Documentation link near the top of this page). And I'll give 5 to 1 odd that you burnt the disc with Nero 6.

tmedina
08-20-2005, 03:26 AM
Actually I DID read the instructions, and NO I did not use Nero 6.

The CD works fine in another computer (one that boots from CD), so the image was created without problems.

It appears that my problem is with the boot disk. I've got to figure out how to make the computer boot to the CD, right now I can get it to boot to A:, and can switch over to the CD drives, R: and S: and view the directories, etc from disks in them. I've just got to search some more on how to edit the config.sys file to make the R: or S: drive bootable, instead of A:. Either that or give up on this old system and use one that will boot to CD.

Thanks for the response anyhow.

Harry Kuhman
08-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Actually I DID read the instructions, and NO I did not use Nero 6.

The CD works fine in another computer (one that boots from CD), so the image was created without problems.

It appears that my problem is with the boot disk. I've got to figure out how to make the computer boot to the CD, right now I can get it to boot to A:, and can switch over to the CD drives, R: and S: and view the directories, etc from disks in them. I've just got to search some more on how to edit the config.sys file to make the R: or S: drive bootable, instead of A:. Either that or give up on this old system and use one that will boot to CD.

Thanks for the response anyhow.

The A: prompt is typical of someone who burns with Nero 6 and takes an option to make the disc "bootable". Glad that's not what happened to you. You didn't mention that it booted on another system and said you thought you had done something wrong, this seemed the most logical choice.

Forget about traditional boot disks. Download a copy of the Smart Boot Manager installer, and either install it to a floppy, or do it the easy way and install it right to your hard disk MBR. That should let you continue to boot your current Operating System(s) as well as boot a CD on a system where the BIOS isn't quite up to booting the CD.

tmedina
08-20-2005, 05:32 AM
That's what I needed -- Smart Boot Manager -- up and running now. THANKS!!!

Harry Kuhman
08-20-2005, 05:39 AM
That's what I needed -- Smart Boot Manager -- up and running now. THANKS!!!

Actually I DID read the instructions, and NO I did not use Nero 6..
Glad to hear that you are finally up. By the way, you would have found about SBM a lot faster if you had read the answer to the question Q: My computer won't boot from CD. What should I do? in the Downloading Faq (currently item 14).

no one listens to Zathras ........