PDA

View Full Version : cendyne external modem

imehesz
08-19-2005, 10:35 PM
hi you'll,

i'd like to change my wXP OP to debian and i got the latest knoppix version and i have some probems with my modems. the built-in winModem didn't work at all (i have a compaq laptop) so i bought this cendyne ext. modem.

i connected it to the serial port as it's supposed to be, and i've tried to connect with kppp but nothing changed. i set it up to /dev/ttyS0 (and above 1...7). with ttyS0 says [modem is ready] ... [initializing] .... and that's it!!?? with the others say [modem is busy]!

i checked the devices with [lspci -v] and it looks like the system didn't even recognize the ext. modem. (obviously i did turn it on ;) )

i tried to find solution on the web but nothing helped :(

if you have some ideas please let me know,

thanks

eM

tdjokic
08-20-2005, 12:00 AM
"Query modem" - this must show you some numbers, signs etc. Do this first. Does modem work in Windows? Did you make proper account - tel.number, user name, password, dynamic IP address, default gateway, automatic DNS, ....

imehesz
08-21-2005, 05:54 PM
thank you tdjokic,

i tried under win and didn't work eighter. the situation is i use redhat since 2000 and this modem worked under it but my internet provider (walmart) didn't support linux in 2003, so i let it go (i mean i use win)!

i still have the redhat conf. and i tried the modem and didn't work. maybe i broke it somehow :( (i moved a lot)

i'll get a new one!

thanks for your help!

imehesz