PDA

View Full Version : Using Linux Swap Partition and Saving /home Data

Kenji Miyamoto
08-20-2005, 11:08 AM
I have two questions: How do I set up a normal Linux swap with the Knoppix CD after partitioning?
Is there a way to save only data from /home on a hard drive?

ockham23
08-20-2005, 11:46 AM
How do I set up a normal Linux swap with the Knoppix CD after partitioning?

Boot from Knoppix CD, open shell window and type
sudo qtparted
to launch qtparted. Left click on a drive to display partition information, right click on a partition to format it. Select "linux-swap" as partition type. Click on "commit" to create the swap partition.

Note: qtparted may not work properly if the hard drive is already mounted. Use cheat code "noswap" to disable an existing swap partition and/or a DOS swap file created during a prior session.

If you run Knoppix from CD, you can create a persistent home directory (Knoppix -> configuration -> persistent home). However, you cannot create a persistent home on an NTFS partition because writing data to an NTFS partition is currently not supported by Linux.

ockham23
08-20-2005, 11:47 AM
How do I set up a normal Linux swap with the Knoppix CD after partitioning?

Boot from Knoppix CD, open shell window and type
sudo qtparted
to launch qtparted. Left click on a drive to display partition information, right click on a partition to format it. Select "linux-swap" as partition type. Click on "commit" to create the swap partition.

Note: qtparted may not work properly if the hard drive is already mounted. Use cheat code "noswap" to disable an existing swap partition and/or a DOS swap file created during a prior session.

If you run Knoppix from CD, you can create a persistent home directory (Knoppix -> configuration -> persistent home). However, you cannot create a persistent home on an NTFS partition because writing data to an NTFS partition is currently not supported by Linux.