PDA

View Full Version : Revised subject: 4.0.2 DVD and CD out now.

Harry Kuhman
08-20-2005, 03:18 PM
From Klaus Knopper (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/4.0.1DVD):
unionfs is broken again, but not as heavily as in 3.9. If you install certain packages with dpkg or apt-get, a kernel oops can happen, though it doesn't freeze the system. This is quite bad for people (like me) who like to test-install new software on the live system, so because of this (and the prior reported bugs) there will be a hotfix of the 4.0.2 DVD soon (probably even before I get a chance to finish the CD).

ewangr
08-30-2005, 12:42 AM
If I'm getting ready to do some testing, followed by an install, are the problems such that I should wait for 4.0.2, or am I likely going to be able to work around them? Guess the better question is, any idea for a release date?

TIA,
Ewan

spunti
09-09-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm only interested in the CD and waiting and waiting:-(

Killerah
09-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Has there been no word on what's going on with the 4.0.2 DVD? I'm getting anxious to try and learn linux again.

trx
09-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Many of us are waiting for that DVD, too... :roll:

Markus
09-15-2005, 10:05 PM
In the meantime games knoppix has a new dvd release http://games-knoppix.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

Killerah
09-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for that, I'll check it out. I'm refreshing the knoppix news section about 3 times a day waiting here lol.

ruymbeke
09-18-2005, 07:56 PM
At the question: Is there a timeline for the 4.0.1 cdrom?
Klaus responded on the debian-knoppix mailing list:

Since both the 4.0.2 DVD and CD versions are basically finished, there
won't be a 4.0.1 CD version, but the upcoming 4.0.2 release instead.

The only thing I'm desperately waiting for, is unionfs to get into a
more stable state. At the moment, there are unacceptable instabilities
when overwriting existing files on a mounted unionfs directory multiple
times, resulting in Kernel Oopses after update-menus when a new debian
package is being installed, and cupsys frequently segfaulting because
the config file can't be rewritten. I would like to fix that, which is a
pure unionfs problem, before the release goes online.

If anybody would like to volunteer helping the unionfs team to find and
eliminate the bugs, please feel free to do so. Just get the current
unionfs snapshot from ftp://ftp.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pub/unionfs/snapshots/
and try to reproduce/debug the crashes reported in the bugtracker at
https://bugzilla.filesystems.org/ .

I have been trying to find the problem in unionfs, yet with no success,
during the past 2 weeks now.

speedy38
09-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Bonjour à tous. Je suis Français, et je suis tombé sur votre forum par hasard, alors si quelqu'un parle français (I don't speak godd English) et qui pourrait m'aider, sa serait cool xD.

A+

eco2geek
09-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Bonjour à tous. Je suis Français, et je suis tombé sur votre forum par hasard, alors si quelqu'un parle français (I don't speak godd English) et qui pourrait m'aider, sa serait cool.

Crois-moi, ton anglais est beaucoup meilleur que mon français! Il y a un forum au sujet de Knoppix pour les francophones ici (http://knoppix-fr.org/). Bonne chance!

ruymbeke
09-22-2005, 04:59 PM
From Klaus on the unionfs mailing list http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pipermail/unionfs/2005-September/001110.html :
Congratulations, it seems that you have just solved a LOT of the unionfs-related problems. I had in Knoppix (especially when overwriting files multiple times, which was probably just a problem with whiteout filename generation that was affected by the wrong kmalloc). Some bugs are still pending, but at least now it looks like I can make a new release this week.

groenewe
09-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Well, it seems at least the 4.02 CD is out now:

Index of ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/ (excerpt)
File: KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-DE.iso 711124 KB 24-9-2005 0:53:00
File: KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso 711124 KB 24-9-2005 0:58:00

Markus
09-24-2005, 10:34 AM
So is 4.0.2 DVD on the bittorrent tracker and ftp mirrors

ruymbeke
09-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Bit torrents of 4.02 CD & DVD are available now !!!
http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
Gilles :D :D :D

atrick-pay
09-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Wow, we need to get some other people seeding this!

trx
09-25-2005, 12:33 AM
one more link in order to try to lower pressure on main mirrors:

http://www.aaen.edu.yu/~tnt/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso
http://www.aaen.edu.yu/~tnt/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso.md5

please infrom me does it and how fast it works...

ruymbeke
09-25-2005, 03:55 AM
For those of you who do not want to or cannot burn a cd/dvd,
I just have updated the minirt_ntfs.gz file
for Knoppix 4.0.2 Patch Update 2005-09-23 CD & DVD.
This minirt_ntfs.gz file is required to boot knoppix from the iso file, cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&start=276 and Windows Partition PMI (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition)
Have fun et let me know if it is working for you.
Thanks, Gilles

boo ya
09-25-2005, 11:57 AM
whats the difference between the 2 dvd versions? is it worth re-downloading?

jullien
09-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I would like to thank you, not for the great job behind 4.0.2 but but inclusion of gcc and emacs in CD distribution.
Rumors was that, starting form 4.0 dev. tools are candiate to be removed form CD.
It's a great pleasure to see that both gcc and emacs are still there.

If you want to remove those two essential components, please keep away this idea from your mind.

gcc really needed to recompile some packages that come in source code only.
emacs is itself a complete system. One of the main GNU component.
Some may prefer vim or other GUI friendly text editor but many of us can't stay away from emacs.

So PLEASE! keep them forever in CD version.

Many thanks.

ckamin
09-25-2005, 08:18 PM
boo ya Wrote:
whats the difference between the 2 dvd versions?
* V4.0.2-2005-09-23 (bugfix release)
- Updated unionfs to 20050921-1507 with stability patches
- Fixed "noeject" and "noprompt" boot options
- Fixed "xdepth=" boot option
- Fixed permissions of /usr/bin/cdrecord*
- Fixed knoppix-terminalserver library problem
- Fixed knoppix-terminalserver shutdown-after-NFS-umount
- Fixed translation error of "Festplatte" in english version
- Fixed OpenOffice siesta on loading old documents
- Fixed ATP8* SCSI controller recognition
- Removed glibc dependency of sysvinit (all files statically linked now)
- Added "units" converter
- Updated read-write libntfs CVS version
- Security updates for xserver-xfree86, xlibs, mozilla-firefox
- [DVD] Added freemind (mindmapping tool)
- [DVD] Added Debian Anwenderhandbuch V3.0
- [DVD] Added Amorok

is it worth re-downloading?
It depends on whether any of the above changes affects what you intend to do with it.

I would download it just to have the latest version with bug fixes. I never know what I might use, or use it for.

ATT
09-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Due to my supposedly weird hardware, I've got bad news - Knoppix 4.0.2 does not even boot on my system (and I was sooo much looking forward to Kernal 2.6.12 :? )

Ok, first facts first. My hardware:
AMD 1200 MHZ Athlon Socket A ; 660 MB Ram
Gigabyte 7IXE4 Motherboard ; AGP, PCI, ISA, USB 1.1, Par+Ser onboard
Net: 3com 3c900 Combo PCI
Highpoint 370/2 IDE Controller PCI
NEC USB 2.0 Controller PCI
SB-16 PnP ISA

The booting? I insert the CD, press return. The screen goes blank and nothing happens. Not even the usual Linux pinguin appears at the top left corner. Just absolutely nothing. It freezes after saying "loading minirt.gz" or something.

The same CD boots more or less fine on a dual 350 MHZ computer just nearby, so it must be something else.

Harry Kuhman
09-27-2005, 10:07 PM
The same CD boots more or less fine on a dual 350 MHZ computer just nearby, so it must be something else.
Yea, you must be right. There can't be any small differences in individual CD drives, even at the microscopic size and tolerances that it takes to read a CD properly. If a CD will boot on one system then there absolutely can't be any marginal conditions that would make it less reliable on another system, no matter how fast the CD was burnt (so you ralized there was not even a reason to bother to mention the burning speed). I used to think otherwise, foolishly being taken in by the evidence of so many people experiencing problems just like this after high speed burns. But your logic has won me over. If it sorta boots ok more or less on another computer, then there absolutely can't be anything wrong with the burn.

Of course, maybe you did burn the CD slow, but it is a moot point, since it boots ok on one system.

Prometeus
09-28-2005, 09:49 AM
In my system CD/DVD works fine Pentium IV and

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Bridge (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB (ICH5) Serial ATA 150 Storage Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
0000:02:07.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
0000:02:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Lucent Microelectronics FW323 (rev 61)

mshanmuga
09-29-2005, 03:33 AM
None of the US mirrors have 4.0.2 DVD available.
Am I right?

Zoltan
09-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Am I right?

I certainly can't find it.

I got the German version, but have to use a couple to shift keys and z=y to get in my cheatcodes.

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2005, 04:09 AM
Am I right?
Is there any reason why you want a slow unreliable mirror rather than using BitTorrent?

I got the German version, but......
Well, I guess if you would rather do that with the German version than use BitTorrent to get the EN version, that's fine.

Zoltan
09-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Am I right?
Is there any reason why you want a slow unreliable mirror rather than using BitTorrent?

I tried BitTorrent.
I was getting 8 cps (same with Uni-KL); I normally get 180 cps from usenet and Uni-Frankfurt.
A bit of research indicates that removing my router and firewall might speed up BitTorrent, but I'm not going to do that.

I got the German version, but......
Well, I guess if you would rather do that with the German version than use BitTorrent to get the EN version, that's fine.

Mir egal ob es Deutsch oder English ist, aber mein Rechner is Amerikanisch ;-)

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2005, 05:10 AM
I tried BitTorrent.
I was getting 8 cps (same with Uni-KL); I normally get 180 cps from usenet and Uni-Frankfurt.
A bit of research indicates that removing my router and firewall might speed up BitTorrent, but I'm not going to do that.
I don't remove my router and firewalls. I got the DVD version Saturday. I got the CD version on Sunday, when the demand was still high, in about 2 hours, the fastest I ever got a Knoppix download (It would take 1 1/2 hours if a download was running at my full download capacity, so this certainly approached this). And I was browsing with another computer and seeding at the same time.

What you do need to do is forward a small range of ports in your router to the BitTorrent system and allow them to pass through your software firewall to the BitTorrent application. It's very clearly documented many places, and is not a security risk.

And you need to give BitTorrent several minutes to pick up speed. It starts dead slow, but if you have the routerand firewall set up properly it picks up nicely a few minutes later.

Or, of course, you can do what you did and complain about the mirrors. How is that working for you?

donnw
09-29-2005, 05:39 AM
I tried BitTorrent.
I don't remove my router and firewalls. I got the DVD version Saturday. I got the CD version on Sunday, when the demand was still high, in about 2 hours, the fastest I ever got a Knoppix download (It would take 1 1/2 hours if a download was running at my full download capacity, so this certainly approached this). And I was browsing with another computer and seeding at the same time.

What you do need to do is forward a small range of ports in your router to the BitTorrent system and allow them to pass through your software firewall to the BitTorrent application. It's very clearly documented many places, and is not a security risk.

And you need to give BitTorrent several minutes to pick up speed. It starts dead slow, but if you have the routerand firewall set up properly it picks up nicely a few minutes later.

Or, of course, you can do what you did and complain about the mirrors. How is that working for you?

It does not hurt to be nice

sk00ter
09-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks very much :) d/l -->KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.torrent=28minutes ...fast fast fast!!!!!!!!!

ckamin
09-29-2005, 10:32 PM
One quick note about the FTP/HTTP Mirrors. Many of the files located in these mirrors are not yet complete. I would assume they are downloading them presently. The DVD isos appear to be most affected, but I have seen improper sizes listed for the CD as well, on occasion. I would give the Mirrors a chance to get the files up before downloading from there.

BitTorrent certainly appears to be the way to go at the moment. I downloaded both the DVD and the CD isos in less than one day, AND they BOTH passed the MD5Sum checks. I have heard from others, and have seen a few posts regarding boot failures, etc., that I can categorize as issues due to poor download integrity. I have heard nothing about issues with a successful BitTorrent download that was attributable to the downloaded file or the download process. What you can do to mess up the file after it downloaded is left up to one's own imagination. It amazes me to see that someone can spend hours downloading a file of DVD size, only to mess it up by not spending a few more minutes burning the files to disc SLOWLY, or to use media of questionable quality or compatibility.

I have counseled a few people that had bad downloads from an FTP Mirror. I instructed them to retry a download with BitTorrent and point the program to save the file to the same folder as the original download. It was able to "Fix" the bad downloads and only needed to download a part of the file to do so.

It appears that the US Mirrors are usually the last in line. I could be wrong about this, but I base this on personal observation.

If you are having trouble downloading using the BitTorrent, there are many things you can do to ensure that the process works as well as it can. These options have been posted elsewhere and are discussed in the Faqs at the BitTorrent site. One of the most important is to allow enough time to establish good peer connections. I saw times when my bit rate dropped under 10, but it usually picked up again and proceeded as expected. I did upload (seed) about three or four times the file sizes so far and it is continuing to seed from two locations when I can do so.

One other note about download speeds. I have a couple of contacts that both use the same ISP. They Both had poor download speeds with BitTorrent, although their throughput is usually close to double what I can achieve with other applications. I would suspect that there is something set by the ISP that prevents full speed torrent downloads, although it could just be coincidence. They are looking into it at the moment and will keep me posted.

mag046
09-29-2005, 11:04 PM
I run Azureus and specify the port that it uses for connection(s). You don't have to specify a range, just a single port...then log into your router/firewall and enter the "port-forwarding" information required by your router that correspond with:

1. The IP of the box running BT (DHCP or static - doesn't matter)
2. The port number that you assigned in the client config

Enable the "forwarding" until you are done, then disable it. You can turn "forwarding" on and off as you wish, it only involves logging into your router.

I have yet to find any reliable mirrors hosting the DVD, the bandwidth costs would be outragious. I used BT and it took me 3 hours on the night it was posted. Not many seeders at the time, but speed was fast enough. By opening a port for BT, my speeds have consistently been near that of a direct FTP or HTTP connection.

To restate the obvious...md5 the images before wasting your time and discs with a bad burn.

Game on...

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2005, 11:15 PM
They are looking into it at the moment and will keep me posted.
Thanks for the feedback, please do keep us posted. My fisrt thought is that your friends may not have theire routers and firewalls set up properly, by desgin BitTorrent will download slowly if you are not set up to share. If the ISP is playing games, advise your friends that while BitTorrent usess a default set of ports, it is not restricted to using ports in that range. If an ISP is playing games with BitTorrent, which would be in direct violation of the recently released FCC directive FCC 05-151 (http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-151A1.pdf), (assuming that your firend's ISP is in the U.S.A.), they are likely doing this by watching for traffic on the common BitTorrent ports. Your friends could configure their BitTorrent clients to use ports outside of the default range, if there is a sudden improvement which goes away when they go back to the default ports then the ISP is certainly causing problems. The above FCC document states clearly that users buying internet service shuld be free to use any applications or an hardware that does not harm the network, subject to potential requirements by law enforcement. So it should be against FCC policy for an ISP to block or disrupt BitTorrent traffic.

Harry Kuhman
09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
I run Azureus and specify the port that it uses for connection(s). You don't have to specify a range,
Actually, anyone can use just one port. The range of port numbers was originally intended for allowing more than one torrnt to be uploaded or seeded at once. And as I understand it now even the Official BitTorrent client has been changed slightly to allow multiple torrents to be handeled over a single port number.

Many routers now have a feature in them for port forwarding called "special application" or "trigger application". If your router has this capability you don't need to worry about forwarding the port each time. You set up the router so that when it see outbound activity on any of the ports (or the one port) that you use for BitTorrent it then forwards all inbound traffic on the ports to the local IP address that triggered the activity. After the BitTorrent trafic stops the router disables port forwarding automatically. Then if you run BitTorrent again later on that system or on any other computer it will forward the BitTorrent port or ports to that computer. This is very handy, it lets me use BitTorrent for any of my systems without having to make further router changes at all.

ckamin
09-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback, please do keep us posted.
I will be stopping by to visit at least one of these people , if not both, having this difficulty over this next weekend. I doubt it is a router/firewall concern since these people are somewhat competent with things that run on electrons, but you never know. I intend to bring one of my laptops along, since I know it will download well from most connections I plug it into. One of these people took well over two days to download the DVD and about 22 hours for the CD. They were both able to download a different CD iso file in about a half hour or so at both locations, by FTP, so something is seriously wrong. I downloaded the files starting a little before they did and my downloads completed in much less than a day for both the CD and DVD. All three of us are using BitTorrent 4.04, so at least that variable is in check.

These people are both in the US and within a few miles of each other, so it's not likely to be an issue with the great firewall of China.

I doubt their ISP would intentionally do something to frustrate BitTorrent, but something might be wrong there also. They are a large provider and would probably not take the chance of doing something illegal or improper. I'm sure they would be eager to correct something if it is on their end. BitTorrent DOES work, just very slowly on the download side. The only thing I could think of is that they might be doing something to frustrate illegal file sharing for some reason, since BitTorrent is sometimes used for those purposes.

I'm sure I will have a better handle on it over the weekend. I will keep you posted on the results.

mag046
09-30-2005, 10:41 AM
I am not a heavy "port forwarding" user, but I have to tell you "port triggering" is a thing of beauty!

Thanks Harry, you have just saved me valuable router config time...now I have to find something else to fill that gap!

:D

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2005, 05:06 PM
I am not a heavy "port forwarding" user, but I have to tell you "port triggering" is a thing of beauty!
Yea, port forwarding can be a pain sometimes, particularly if you have a router that does not always assign the same local address to each system by DHCP. Using port triggering doesn't help in some circumstances, such as web servers or ftp servers where the application doesn't send out the packet first or keep packet traffic active, but for applications like BitTorrent it's great.

Zoltan
09-30-2005, 09:16 PM

It's certainly working better than BitTorrent.

I've got the EN CD and the GE DVD.

Sooner or later, somebody will post these (and the EN DVD) to usenet, as they have the previous versions.
I can download from usenet at 20 times the speeds I'm getting from BitTorrent.

a.b.warex.linux, a.b. boneless, and a.b.ftd seem to be popular.

The Uni-Kaiserslautern site has the EN DVD, but it's no faster than BitTorrent.

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2005, 10:00 PM
It's certainly working better than BitTorrent.
Well, many people, including myself, seem to be getting safe, fast, even amazing results with bittorrent (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93247#93247). If you insist on not doing the setup that would get you similar results that's perfectly fine with me, but I'm not clear on why you want to keep posting about your inability to get something to work that so many others can, particularly when you have made it clear that you do not want help.

tablet_guy
10-01-2005, 02:05 AM
For those of you who do not want to or cannot burn a cd/dvd,
I just have updated the minirt_ntfs.gz file
for Knoppix 4.0.2 Patch Update 2005-09-23 CD & DVD.
This minirt_ntfs.gz file is required to boot knoppix from the iso file, cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796&start=276 and Windows Partition PMI (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition)
Have fun et let me know if it is working for you.
Thanks, Gilles

Your initrd and Knoppix 4.0.2 worked like magic! It boots really fast, and unionfs seems to work much better (a firefox update to 1.0.7 went smoothly, unlike a similar update with V. 3.9). alhtouhg it does fail on the rather tricky X.org update (using the ufs image, without HD installing, of course). if anyone is able to get the Xorg update working could you please post how you managed it?

thanks ruymbeke, for your very useful initrd/grub work.

Ildarin
10-01-2005, 03:13 PM
The Uni-Kaiserslautern site has the EN DVD, but it's no faster than BitTorrent.

It's now on ftp.kernel.org

Nice and fast.

ckamin
10-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Harry Kuhman Wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, please do keep us posted.
Harry,
I was able to visit both locations and had no problem downloading at well over 300KB/s with my laptop. It was their settings for their firewalls that were apparently giving them trouble. I added a few new rules, massaged a few settings, did a little Magic Mojo Rain Dance, and they are now downloading at rates I can envy. It was definitely not their ISP. Anyway they are good to go and ready for the next version of Knoppix on the torrents. Meanwhile, they will be seeding the latest files as they can.

Your note on port triggering is a great one. I have used this on my Linksys router for some time and have set it up for several friends on occasion. It works great for something like BitTorrent. I almost forgot it was there and set up, since I don't have to configure my router in order to download each time.

Thanks again for your concern, help, and advice!

ruymbeke
12-26-2005, 08:46 AM
The Knoppix 4.02 cd and dvd release have a typo bug in the linuxrc boot script
which prevent the USB port to work in the USB2 high speed mode.
Only the USB1 compatible mode was enabled having about 1MB/Sec
of transfert rate instead of the +20MB/Sec as expected.
This is really ennoying, especially when booting Knoppix
from the ISO cd image located on a USB dongle or an external USB HDD.
cf: http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2005/12/msg00031.html
Thank you very much Sergej for the patch.
I have patched the linuxrc boot script and updated the minirt boot script.
Please find below a link to the download location:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97923#97923
This initrd has support for: ntfs, reiser, iso, (dynamic) hostname & usb2
Best Regards,
Gilles

kenyee
01-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Curious if there is a timeline for a 4.1 release or whether I should just download the latest 4.02? :-)

Harry Kuhman
01-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Curious if there is a timeline
For the most part we are not the developers, be there has been no hint of a newer version posted in these forums. I would suggest going with what is available; or you might always find yourself waiting.

benjamin1254
03-08-2006, 10:02 PM
yeah look i know i havent posted but it so far looks like the newest version of knoppix is bugging out. If it is not one thing its usually another issue. Can e expect a special installment to help fix some of these issues because if the kernel is bugged up the OS is no good. Is there a date currently set for patches for these issues?

Harry Kuhman
03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
A post in the Lounge (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23484) is now saying that Version 5 will hit the German Cbit trade show. Last year it was months after the show before 4.0.1 hit the Internet (and even longer for the "quick rush fix" for 4.0.2), so I expect I'll be using 4.0.2 until late summer.