PDA

View Full Version : Booting problems with ethernet

oxigen
08-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Everything boots nice until knoppix get to my ethernet card. It detects it, then tries to broadcast for an IP, and that's where it just stops. I've been able to run older versions of knoppix fine, without this happening. My ethernet card is: Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (generic).

any ideas?

oxigen
08-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Is there some way I can bypass the ethernet check, so I can set it up later?

ockham23
08-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Try cheat code "nodhcp".

tdjokic
08-21-2005, 02:10 PM
I've been able to run older versions of knoppix fine Maybe nodhcp will help. Maybe acpi=off. Maybe there is a bug (Knoppix 3.9?), try search.

Sephiroth
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
The acpi=off and nodhcp might work here too I think. My problem is with the older versions of knoppix. They don't seem to be able to successfully start an x86 session and run like they should. That as you might have guessed causes the process to hault. I'm gonna try the two "cheat" codes to see if I get any further. If any one knows how to bypass the x-server connection please let me know.

rwcitek
08-25-2005, 03:43 AM
The acpi=off and nodhcp might work here too I think. My problem is with the older versions of knoppix. They don't seem to be able to successfully start an x86 session and run like they should. That as you might have guessed causes the process to hault. I'm gonna try the two "cheat" codes to see if I get any further. If any one knows how to bypass the x-server connection please let me know.
x86 session? Perhaps you mean an X11 session? Older versions? What version of Knoppix are you using and on what hardware?

To boot without an X-server, boot: knoppix 3 will boot you into text mode.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

rwcitek
08-25-2005, 03:44 AM
Is there some way I can bypass the ethernet check, so I can set it up later?
Have you found a solution to your problem? If so, please post back and tell us what it was. If not, what did you try and what were the results?

Regards,
- Robert

Sephiroth
08-30-2005, 04:41 AM
I took your advice and booted into runlevel 3. I managed to get it to install though now i'm left with the problem that it doesn't seem to want to boot from the HDD. I think I'm about ready to scrap this MoBo and start over.

As for what kind of hardware I'm not sure. The MoBo it's self is rather nondiscript. It doesn't have any readdily apperant brand name markings on it and I havn't been able to find it by googling it's model number. For the rest of it I have a P4 2.8Ghz Prescott coupled with 512Mb of Kingston RAM. It's worked with about every other machine I've ever used so I don't think that's the problem. I have no reason to believe the processor is flaky because it works fine in a friend's Linux box. Frustrating would be an understatement at this point as I've tried every distro since knoppix 3.3 now to little or no success. It's almost enough to make me stray from Linux, "almost." Even if some one want's to just list everything to try that isn't in the FAQs I'd really appriciate it. I'm loosing my sanity on this one.

oxigen
09-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Have you found a solution to your problem? If so, please post back and tell us what it was. If not, what did you try and what were the results?

Yes, I used the nodhcp cheat code, and everything booted properly. Now, I have a new problem, which is configuring ethernet card myself. I have no idea how to do that. If you could point me to a guide, that would be great.

rwcitek
09-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Yes, I used the nodhcp cheat code, and everything booted properly. Now, I have a new problem, which is configuring ethernet card myself. I have no idea how to do that. If you could point me to a guide, that would be great.
Glad to hear the solution was as simple as a single cheat code.

As for configuring your ethernet card, chances are that knoppix is loading the wrong module. I have that problem on one of my machines. knoppix loads a tulip module instead of a de2104x(?) module. The solution for me was to rmmod the tulip driver, modprobe the de2104x driver, and then run pump -i eth0.

What ethernet card do you have? To find out, type 'lspci' and post the result.

Regards,
- Robert

oxigen
09-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Ok, here's what I got (obviously not the entire output, just the part about the ethernet controller):

Ethernet Controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140 [FasterNet] (rev22)

And I'd like to thank you guys for being the most helpful linux forum I've ever been too. Usually I just get replies from the l33t nerds who treat me like an idiot and never actually help me. So, thanks for actually helping.

rwcitek
09-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Ok, here's what I got (obviously not the entire output, just the part about the ethernet controller):

Ethernet Controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140 [FasterNet] (rev22)
You may be having the same issue I was having. Try this:

boot: knoppix nodhcp 3
ifconfig -a
rmmod tulip
modprobe de2104x
ifconfig -a
pump -i eth0
ifconfig -a
ping -c 4 knoppix.net
I'm assuming eth0 is your NICs interface. Please post the output from the above commands.

And I'd like to thank you guys for being the most helpful linux forum I've ever been too. Usually I just get replies from the l33t nerds who treat me like an idiot and never actually help me. So, thanks for actually helping.
Best to ignore the l33t folks.

Hope the above commands help. Let us know what happens.

Regards,
- Robert

oxigen
09-04-2005, 10:22 PM
output of ifconfig -a:

Eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HQaddr 00:60:67:30:72:53
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 Errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:17 Base address:0xe400

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:225.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytesl:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

output of rmmod tulip:

ERROR: Module tulip does not exist in /proc/modules

I just stopped there since I got the error.

rouhaud
09-09-2005, 02:30 AM
please, i just to install knoppix 4 on my hard disk, but i must type knoppix nodhcp to finish my install.
now it's work, but i cant access to internet,
my config is athlon xp2800+ 1.25 g de ram 2 hard disk maxtor 120 go and my motherboard is asus a7n8x-e deluxe, but i have a bios tweaked 1013e,
can you help me to reactivate dhcp, because when i try to configure my network card the computer freeze.
thank a lots for tour help

rwcitek
09-14-2005, 03:50 PM
output of rmmod tulip:

ERROR: Module tulip does not exist in /proc/modules

I just stopped there since I got the error.
It means that some other module is loaded instead of tulip for your ethernet card. Try the following:

lsmod
ifconfig eth0
pump -k
pump -i eth0 # based on previous posts, I suspect this will not work
ifconfig eth0

and post back the output.

Regards,
- Robert

carmat06
09-28-2005, 08:15 AM
So-- I am having the same exact problem with the same exact ethernet card same rev and everthing. I followed the instructions on nodhcp cheat code at boot and was able to install to xserver. T followed your advice you gave oxygen:

boot: knoppix nodhcp 3
ifconfig -a
rmmod tulip
modprobe de2104x
ifconfig -a
pump -i eth0
and when I got to this step the computer froze, just like is did when I tried netcardconfig and setting a static ip. so I reboot and repeat and reboot and repeat--well you get the idea. Any other ideas?

Matt