View Full Version : how to configure LAN crad in knoppix

princei2007
08-20-2005, 11:03 PM
i am very new in linux please help me

i have cabel internet connection. my
private ip is :172.16.0.71
subnet musk :255.255.0.0
default gateway : 172.16.0.1

now please help me how can i configure this in Knoppix linux Lan card and redheart also
:?:

Harry Kuhman
08-20-2005, 11:20 PM
1) I strongly suggest that anyone who uses a high speed cable or DSL service invest in a very expensive home DSL/cable router. These devices are dirt cheap now, frequently $10 US after rebate, and will provide you a lot of protection from attacks on the Internet thanks to their NAT firewalls. They will also form the basis of a small home network. And they will automatically set up your Knoppix connection by DHCP, you just boot the Knoppix disc and you are on the Internet as soon as booting finishes.

2) That said, most cable users find that they also get an automatic DHCP connection (DSL users do not). Your ISP may be doing something differently. You should be able to do a netcardconfig, either from the menu or from a command prompt and either select an automatic DHCP setup from there or a manual setup that would let you plug the above values in.

tdjokic
08-21-2005, 12:02 AM
1) I strongly suggest that anyone who uses a high speed cable or DSL service invest in a very expensive home DSL/cable router.http://www.knoppix.net/forum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Harry Kuhman
08-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Opps!

Harry Kuhman
08-21-2005, 07:04 AM
Quick followup: $4.99 (maybe after rebate, the type is too small to tell) for a 4 port wired Dlink 604 router this week at Best Buy. I'm not recommending that router over other routers, but I certainly would rather have it than no router protecting my system.

EDIT: CompUSA has an 802.11g wireless router for the same price!