PDA

View Full Version : firefox not working on 4.0 dvd

tp671
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I just started up knoppix 4.0 dvd and the firefox browser wont work. It looks like its trying to open, but then disappears. Is there something wrong is my config somewhere?

hooper_fc5
04-30-2006, 03:44 PM
My firfox bombs after I get the w32codecs installed and the kaffeine-mozilla plug in. I fix it by rebooting without any of my configurations, but that is a pain to do it all over again.

Anyone know why firefox dies?

Harry Kuhman
04-30-2006, 05:10 PM
I just started up knoppix 4.0 dvd ...
If you mean 4.0.2 then all I can pass along is that it has worked fine for me. If you really mean 4.0 then I don't know.

hooper_fc5
05-01-2006, 04:47 AM
Yes I mean V 4.0.2, I am using the DVD version. This time I just installed the flash plugin and after awhile firefox quits working. I try to launch it and it acts like it will open and it just goes away.

I am not sure if creating the .img on my thumb drive is causing any issues but it seems to fail awhile after doing that, maybe a coincidence who knows.

Harry, do you just run from cd/dvd drive only? Or do you have an .img on a drive? Because once I remove my thumb drive with image and load fresh firefox works fine again.

Harry Kuhman
05-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Yes I mean V 4.0.2, I am using the DVD version. This time I just installed the flash plugin....
Actually, I quoted and was talking to tp671. I have not installed the plug-in that you write of and make no claim that that works or does not work. But the fact that you can get far enough to install the plug-in should give tp671 extra information that we are both getting farther than he is.

hooper_fc5
05-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Sorry, I did not mean to post out of turn but he posted that in August and did not reply so I thought I would jump in. :)

Did you save your configuration to a persistant image?

Harry Kuhman
05-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Sorry, I did not mean to post out of turn but he posted that in August and did not reply so I thought I would jump in. :)

Did you save your configuration to a persistant image?
I hadn't even noted the dates, your post brought the the tread back to the top and I just thought to respond to tp671. It's not that you were posting"out of turn". but I didn't want to give you the impression that I was responding to you or knew anything about your plug-in problem. And no, I have not used the persistant image or any form of saving anything; I just boot from the Live CD and do what I can from there.

hooper_fc5
05-01-2006, 05:21 AM
I understand.

Maybe most people don't use this feature of saving an image to a usb drive. I like it because I don't have to enter all my set ups again.

Maybe if you have time you could try it to see if you experience the same thing by saving an image. How do you handle things you change? Do you just dump it all at reboot time?

Harry Kuhman
05-01-2006, 05:29 AM
How do you handle things you change? Do you just dump it all at reboot time?
I guess the simple answer is that I don't change things. That is, networking just works (I use a router), and I generally don't run wireless. I have finally gotten a wireless nic to work, and I do go ahead and re-enter the wep key if I decide to use the wireless connection. I'm still using Windows for a lot of stuff, and have a real Debian install for things that I want to use Linux for and retain work, so Knoppix is what it is intended to be for me, a Live CD that I can try on different hardware or for when I just want to experiment and learn Linux.

hooper_fc5
05-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Sorry, I thought as a moderator you would have tried all the features out that Knoppix provides. In first day i had it, I saved the .sh configuration to see how it worked then I graduated to the save image to see how that worked. I know it is mostly to use as a cd/dvd environment, but I found it convenient to save an image on a usb drive so I could keep bookmarks, wireless configuration and plugins I installed.

If anyone else out there has used the save Knoppix configuration to a usb drive let me know if you have trouble with firefox, thanks

hooper_fc5
05-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Well I got around this firefox failing issue by going to Klik and installing firefox.cmg. I get the newest version and works very well and can save it off when I save the knoppix conguration.

Anyone know how to install pluggins to the firefox.cmg image? ie w32codecs, flash