PDA

View Full Version : AC97 - no sound. Segmentation fault with 3.9

docbill
08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi There,

Every so often I try to configure my sound card (VIA Technologies 8233) for Knoppix. My most recient attempts were with 3.8.1 and 3.9. Both versions act as if my sound has been successfully configured. However, no sound is created either by the sound configuration test or by XMMX. I saw another thread that suggested that the moduals need to be manually loaded, but that did not help. KMix show the OSS modual is being used and my volume is set to 67%.

I noticed unrelated segmentation faults while attempting to debug in both versions. In 3.9 the segmentation fault happened when I typed the following commands:

cd /var/log
ls

The first time I tried this it also killed the taskbar. The second time (after a reboot) there was no effect on the taskbar. I expect this is a UnionFS error...

With the 3.8.1 version, a segmentation fault occured when I attempted to access the keyboard configution menu. Since I wasn't able to correctly map my keyboard I couldn't try the above test.

Bill

docbill
09-05-2005, 06:29 PM
BTW. Sound works perfectly with Gnoppix on the same computer. Is there something I could query from the working system to figure out why sound doesn't work on Knoppix?

Bill