PDA

View Full Version : Deleting files on NTFS volume

frishert
04-22-2003, 02:49 PM
There were two reasons why I decided to use Knoppix 3.2:
I wanted to get familiar with Linux. What I have seen now impresses me.
I wanted to use Knoppix in the case I have problems with Windows Xp Pro, because I was told, that it is possible with Knoppix to delete and add files on a NTFS volume.

I have a problem with Windows XP, which is installed on a NTFS volume. I now experience, that I cannot delete a file from this volume.

Is it really possible to delete a file from NTFS or/and what is it, that I'm doing wrong??

Thanks, Paul

RockMumbles
04-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Knoppix is set up so that it cannot write to a ntfs filesystem. Ntfs is read-only.

rock

Henk Poley
04-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Knoppix is set up so that it cannot write to a ntfs filesystem. Ntfs is read-only.
Waaaah! Please be specific, before the poor guy finds out how to remount drives read/write!

NTFS write support is experimental in Linux! Don't try it unless you don't care about the data on the partition!!!

Sorry about the abundant exclamation points!!! ;-)

frishert
04-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Thanks for your reply, though I am not happy that I cannot use Linux for modifying data on a NTFS volume.

Maybe I should not put this question on this forum, but still:

Does anybody know how to modify data on a NTFS volume, when Windows has been stalled and cannot be started again?

Thank, Paul

garyng
04-23-2003, 11:11 AM
To fix XP, you better use its rescue disk which is just the original CD(or boot floppy), there is an option that you can select and fix it.

As for writing to NTFS, be very careful as suggested. It is possible but you better google linux-ntfs which will link you to the page of the steps needed AFTER you have made some changes to any of its content.